Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been back in trim mode for 3 weeks and processing quite a bit of mdf... i sand all ripped edges either by hand for edges with a round over or with the sander for square edges..

ive noticed my sanding discs arent lasting as long as they used to.. trying to figure out if its do to cheaper qualiy discs or does mdf flat stock with a high resin content wear out a disc quicker.. .just wondering

i mainly use sia discs or norton, just recently picked up some freud diablo discs which are a little better than the sia's. gator is the other brand available here

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah.. the nortons are hard to find now here.. havent seen mirka

the worst ones here are "task" the velcro doesnt even stick.. the gc bought a 5 pack for one job.. we just used em for hand sanding

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The disks on a sander with a vacuum attached will always last longer that one without.

I have not seen an mdf panel that clogs paper at an unreasonable rate.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive noticed the higher resin mdf sheets clog my mask quicker and if im not wearing my mask im gagging more... figured the same might be happening with the discs

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 for Festool discs, and even better with dust extraction.

Reactions: scraigc

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have the issue of fhb your talking bout.. klingspor isnt available here that i know of

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
The diablo disks are junk. Ive always liked norton.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts