Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually like to let the pros do what they do best but after the worst winter in decades my deck looks horrible and bank account needs some replenishing so figured id try to revitalize my deck myself. 16x20 cedar in amazing shape except for the finish. What would be the best way to begin this nightmare? Really light powerwash followed by sanding? Best brand of new stain to put down?.Think we used sikkens originally. Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Attachments

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
Seeing no one else will answer you I will give you the best advice I can offer. First off you need to remove the old finish with a stripper(not the bar kind), there are various products out there that can be use. All the ones I've used can be applied with a weed sprayer and can be removed by power washing or with a scrub brush and hose. Caution should be used because all are caustic and can strip the paint from painted surfaces or damage vinyl or worse kill your wife's rose bush. Also if you use a power wash to rinse use it on a low setting. Usually the stripper with remove the old finish along with a dead layer of old wood to reveal a clean bright surface. If not buy some brightener and follow the directions and follow by a finish product of your choice. Whatever you choose for finish plan on doing a maintenance coat or more every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did a cedar deck about 2 years ago. Stripping the whole thing down with chemical seemed kind of dangerous (as carzie pointed out) and expensive in materials. So I decided to do a light powerwash and sanding. I even bought a new sander. I put the stain on and it looked decent at first. I was pretty proud of myself. But it did not hold up at all. The stain scraped right off. I've heard sanding can kind of seal up the pores in the wood. I think that's what happened to me. The next time I sand deck, I will look into getting some conditioner to open up the pores.

If the old finish is gone and water no longer beads up on the surface, yeah, I'd skip the stripper. But if you do, sticking with the same stain as last time is probably a good idea.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. I guess my main concern is if I have to remove 100% of the stain or will the new stain cover the blotches ..I tested a portion of the top rail and sanded it down came out looking good but as someone posted was as smooth as glass. Worried about it not penetrating and peeling also. Should have went with some sort of trex flooring and vinyl rails..live and learn. Might be time for some bartering

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Hey, I was a Piermonster / Nyacker! Beautiful area :)

Most decks I've done were solid or semi-solid stain from Sherwin Williams. If I had a clear one to do, I'd use an SW product. I've had really good results from all of their higher end products.

As for penetration - all of the old finish must be removed, or the new one won't stick or penetrate. Cheap products might not stick or penetrate well. If you sand it, power wash afterwards too? Use a wood conditioner as suggested above? Make sure everything is dry after power washing before applying anything.

Above all, follow the directions on the cans :)

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I was a Piermonster / Nyacker! Beautiful area :)

Most decks I've done were solid or semi-solid stain from Sherwin Williams. If I had a clear one to do, I'd use an SW product. I've had really good results from all of their higher end products.

As for penetration - all of the old finish must be removed, or the new one won't stick or penetrate. Cheap products might not stick or penetrate well. If you sand it, power wash afterwards too? Use a wood conditioner as suggested above? Make sure everything is dry after power washing before applying anything.

Above all, follow the directions on the cans :)
Thanks for the tips Smal..Nyack and peirmont are nice areas but have been completely take over by liberals :no:

·
Painting & Remodeling
816 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I guess my main concern is if I have to remove 100% of the stain or will the new stain cover the blotches ..I tested a portion of the top rail and sanded it down came out looking good but as someone posted was as smooth as glass. Worried about it not penetrating and peeling also. Should have went with some sort of trex flooring and vinyl rails..live and learn. Might be time for some bartering
Yes you need to get as much of it off as possible. Doesn't look like there is hardly any left, the protected areas may require a caustic stripper first to remove any the finish.

Almost everything you need to know about wood restoration on this site.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Check out Woodrich.com, call them up and ask to talk to Russell, he is the expert on wood, show him that picture too. When I revitalize a deck I usually mop sodium hydroxide on it, pressure wash with a 4000 psi pressure washer, then mop oxalic acid and touch up sand wherever needed. For stain I like to use WoodTux from Woodrich.com mainly because it works on wet wood. Except they don't offer semi-transparent or semi-solid, so if I want either of the two I use Armstrong Clark, they make a really good stain but the wood has to be dry.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Thanks for the tips Smal..Nyack and peirmont are nice areas but have been completely take over by liberals :no:
They have been for a long time. My mom worked for the developer of the Pier project. 10 years she fought over getting an abandoned eyesore / dump into something nice. They fought tooth and nail to leave that old paper mill.

There IS however a nice but odd Libertarian family. I'm friends with the kids (well, we're all now in our late 30's). They are how I know what a Libertarian is.

I call the daughter "Wednesday" as in Addams :D

I was considering moving back, but it's way too expensive. I found some jobs that are right up my alley in Tarrytown (Solar PV installer) for $20 or so / hour. With property taxes making rent insane it's a no-go. And state income taxes - it'd be like making $10 / hour here ...

And I was really looking forward to getting back in to the Nyack Boat Club :(

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Not many places more beautiful than the Hudson River Valley. Used to sail between Piermont, and Newburgh.

The Caribbean, and Florida Gold Coast ... that's much more better though :D In a few more weeks I'll be 50 miles from Freeport Bahamas!

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMO if its as bad as you say(hard to tell from the pics) why not replace the deck boards with composite and remove any future refinishing. The time and money folks put into refinishing every 4 years more than justifies it.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
IMO if its as bad as you say(hard to tell from the pics) why not replace the deck boards with composite and remove any future refinishing. The time and money folks put into refinishing every 4 years more than justifies it.
It does, but it's cheaper to refinish in the short term. I'd put a semi or solid stain on it for now if I were in that boat. Under 100 in material, and it's good to go until the winter is recovered from and work starts to flow. Then think about replacing with composite.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
smalpierre said:
It does, but it's cheaper to refinish in the short term. I'd put a semi or solid stain on it for now if I were in that boat. Under 100 in material, and it's good to go until the winter is recovered from and work starts to flow. Then think about replacing with composite.

If love to replace them. Truth is besides the finish decking is in great shape. I'd need 32 20 footers to replace decking not happening in the Obama economy

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
a couple gals of sw semi solid stain and some prep might though, if Obama doesn't want you to pay taxes on the Income you would have made on a paid job though :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
This may be a little late, but I buy all my dry chems off of ebay. Powders that you mix to get your desired liquid chems. (sodium percarb, oxalic, citric acids, etc.) Good prices, and easy to mix/use in most cases.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
first off I would get a power washer and some Thompson deck cleaner. spray the Thompsons deck cleaner all over your deck then take and power wash it and you'll be ready to restain. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I tried a new product at the weekend to clean up a deck. Worked pretty well. was built about 2 years ago and never had a sealer or stain applied. The cleaner was deck bright

let sit for 15mins
pressure wash with white delicate tip at 3000psi. be careful with cedar as it will get eaten up with anymore than 2500psi
Keep about 4" from the material

image-1121388231.jpg

image-35027252.jpg

image-2798463811.jpg

image-870153493.jpg

image-523748040.jpg

image-210290436.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts