Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just couldn't resist, this ad takes the cake. $14/hr? who can even start their trucks for that?

handyperson, plasterer ceiling repair (vancouver oak st)
wanted , experienced handyperson wh knows to plaster/patch a wall and ceiling whre it has been damp, had a leak.Also wanted someone or small crew that can renovate a bathroom and change tub to shower, including all finishes eg tile floor paint etc to finish completely.
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
• Compensation: either by whole job or 14 per hour

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I just couldn't resist, this ad takes the cake. $14/hr? who can even start their trucks for that?

wanted , experienced handyperson wh knows to plaster/patch a wall and ceiling whre it has been damp, had a leak.Also wanted someone or small crew that can renovate a bathroom and change tub to shower, including all finishes eg tile floor paint etc to finish completely.
There's guys around here who work for negative $10hr. Numerous times other contractors come in well below my material costs. Im sure they make it up in numerous extras they "didnt" account for though but HO wont know that until they demand extra money.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,036 Posts
Saw one the other day asking for "an experienced painter, must have painted more than grandma's house", for 10 bucks an hour.

But of course, she promised much more work if you did a good job on the first one. :eek:

:clap: Sign me up! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts

I saw that add...good for a laugh

I always wonder how these things end up turning out...I'd imagine they would be shocked to discover that the job isn't turning out absolutely pefectly with their 14 dollar an hour handyman, so they will place another add, this time offering 15 bucks an hour. Or maybe we will see them on HOH talking sobbing about how victimized they were when the bathtub leaks and the wiring shocks people and all the tiles are cracked..

But still makes me curious..

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sad thing here is that there a lot of reputable companies that are willing to pay less then 20 dollars an hour for a skilled tradesman and people go and work for it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know of a few guys great at what they do but they work for peanuts.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Sad thing...is that there a lot of reputable companies that are willing to pay less then 20 dollars an hour for a skilled tradesman...
And worse is some people think that's a whole lotta money to pay someone to do the work they need to have done.

Then circling back to your comment....and there will still be people that would be OK working for that.....

·
New Quirky Carpenter
1,341 Posts
I got a message from a guy I did cheap plumbing for right after I was "let-go". I offered to tile his buddies bathroom floor for $250. The sheet rocker I gave him, not sub, gave him another guy for $200. Then the huge basement leveling and the tiling for $3/sq. "I still want you to check the plumbing these guys did?"
FU!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well some people are, totally willing to take advantage of someone in a bad situation or have no respect for people making a living "swinging a hammer" and feel you can't be worth more than about $14 an hour without a "proper education".... I see ads like this around my neck of the woods too. Can't imagine the quality of work they end up with

1 - 20 of 33 Posts