Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Construction Technology
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently got involved in construction, specifically in construction technology, and was wondering what is the most common practice for crane operators, superintendents, and project managers to utilize crane usage?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just wondering about your username. Does MolsonC stand for Molson Coors? The beverage company?
If that is the case, the most common usage in your industry is for hoisting a few.

·
Builder
32,685 Posts
We spoiled AF at WCI, I called in a crane to pull two ac condensers off a roof. I mean we could get it but I like to just back up the trailer and let them pull them and set them on the trailer and I can leave

Or really Taylor, so technically me but through a representative- if I pull the trailer I might have to unload the condensers 😆

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
On homes, Carps are typically the only ones utilizing cranes, with the possible exception in the south of roof mounted AC units. Usually it's I beams, & trusses. Usually 85' to 100' is used to get enough horizontal lift range.
Commercial is a whole another ball game.

·
Contractor
8,042 Posts
Would you say that is common practice?
Yes, I believe that was common practice at the time. 🤔

We used to swing roof trusses, sometimes wall panels. One builder had modules pre packaged for kitchen and baths on some row houses.

Sometimes they would build the roofs on the first floor deck. We'd lift the roofs out of the way, swing wall panels and floor joists, set the roof back on. Could do a whole row of houses in a day.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,026 Posts
I announced to my dad at the dinner table one day when I was about 20 or so, that I wanted to buy a 40 ton crane mounted on a tri-axle Kenworth T-800.

He thought that was pretty funny. Said most kids your age announce what college they want to go to, or some vacation or mega-party event they are going to, or the dream girl they want to date. And I just wanted a crane. 👍

A few years later, after learning a bit about the local opportunities, I decided that owning an excavator would be a better business decision.

I met my future wife when I was 22 or so, and told her my dream of owning an excavator.

Im not sure she really knew what it was, because she told her mother that “ my new boyfriend really wants an escalator“. 😳🤣

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,134 Posts
“Walking to my escalator, tell them ** I’m not afraid… to let the nine… sing out, make it ring out…”

·
Registered
157 Posts
Keeping in mind the OP seems to be a new guy and is looking for help ---

From a commercial side of things, I typically tried to make the structural guy handle the crane. It doesn't matter if it's a steel frame or cast-in-place. He's on the critical path, so he gets priority on the use of the crane. In most cases, they will do lifts for other subs when the crane isn't busy. I try to put something to that affect in their contract. Maybe I get 2 hours a week as long as it's scheduled. And you get an hourly rate (including overtime) if you need more. Part of this is having some kind of relationship with various subs and suppliers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Keeping in mind the OP seems to be a new guy and is looking for help ---

From a commercial side of things, I typically tried to make the structural guy handle the crane. It doesn't matter if it's a steel frame or cast-in-place. He's on the critical path, so he gets priority on the use of the crane. In most cases, they will do lifts for other subs when the crane isn't busy. I try to put something to that affect in their contract. Maybe I get 2 hours a week as long as it's scheduled. And you get an hourly rate (including overtime) if you need more. Part of this is having some kind of relationship with various subs and suppliers.
I think he's asking who coordinates the usage of the crane on real big jobs like high rise construction where the crane(s) are on site for months or years. It varies by project but in general; The GC hires the crane company and the crane company has a scheduler(s) on site. If the steel guys need it for picks all day on Monday but the electrician needs a pick the same day. The crane coordinator will work out the scheduling. Some jobs the steel subs and concrete subs will have their own crane for their work only and a second crane is used for the other trades that don't require a lot of usage. I've only ever had a job where we, the GC paid to had a crane on site long term. We paid the crane company a lump sum to have it on site and the crane company billed the subs hourly for usage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts