Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a cure for leg cramps? I drink plenty of water but if I work at something I haven't done in a while I get the cramps usually the inside of my thighs. A freind had given me a bunch of BioFreeze samples which works pretty well but I've used them all. These cramps can be serious and I have been in dire straights with them, last night wasn't too cool. Never had the cramps while at work, its always late evening.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Eat some bananas, drink a little Gatorade, and stretch before bed. The bananas have potassium, the Gatorade has some electrolytes, and the stretching keeps your muscles loose before bed.

I am no doctor but these have helped me when I get them at night.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,192 Posts
I had them one night so bad I went to the emergency room. I panicked as I read on the internet that if they occur behind your knee, it could be a blood clot. Well, this one was behind my knee and wouldn't go away. Since I had just recently had a heart attack and live alone...better to be safe than sorry.

The doctor told me they still aren't exactly sure what causes them.

I have read to drink soda water (carbonated) and eat bananas (potassium)

Mine happen when I get in bed and bend a relaxed leg.

Ouch...I hate them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Hmmm, well, I dunno if I even wanna say, but....

Anyways, those leg (and hand cramps ) started hitting me at around age 45.

Yes on the bananas, potassium, Gatorade, etc, but "The Solution" was given to me by a mechanic at the school bus garage - those Pamprin tablets.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
it takes your body about 24 hours to really break down food and get all the vitamins and minerals out. eating a banana a couple hours before won't do too much. Eat one every day. I don't cause i hate bananans so i live with them.

My MIL says tonic water helps. I thought it was for malaria but maybe dual purpose

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Whenever I get leg craps, I learned that rather than trying to fight back, just let the cramp do what it wants to do and it will release itself in a matter of seconds. It's a weird feeling because its almost like if you don't fight back, your muscle is going to twist all the way around and roll up like a window shade.

But when the cramps come, I just relax, endure the strange feelings, and it's over in less than 30 seconds. Sometimes I have to bend my knee, sometimes I just have to lie flat. But that's what works for me.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whenever I get leg craps, I learned that rather than trying to fight back, just let the cramp do what it wants to do and it will release itself in a matter of seconds. It's a weird feeling because its almost like if you don't fight back, your muscle is going to twist all the way around and roll up like a window shade.

But when the cramps come, I just relax, endure the strange feelings, and it's over in less than 30 seconds. Sometimes I have to bend my knee, sometimes I just have to lie flat. But that's what works for me.
Not mine..

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,192 Posts

:eek:...you da man! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.