Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently placed this truck on Craig's list to sell. I received two suspicious replies wanting me to go to specific sites in order to place a book value on the truck as their computers were not working right or something and they could not get the sites. Sounds like a scam to me. Comments?

Attachments

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
go to www.kbb.com to price it, if they want you to go to another site, I wouldn't do it.

Be careful craigslist is full of scammers a lady recently sold a ring for $700 and was given 7 fake 100 bills.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My thoughts also.
One reply stated the price was right, been looking forever, blah,blah, and still wanted me to go to some site her husband used to get a value on the truck. Ready to pick it up like yesterday. I'm thinking if the price is right, why go to a site and get a value??
If I go to a siite, it will most likely be kbb.

My thinking is I mayy have been born at night, but not last night.

I may see about contacting Cl to draw attention to replies like these.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have posted many things on craigslist & this is a scam. Do not click on any site or if it says click here for Info on how to sell your item fast. Or don't ever believe them if they say want your item & consider it sold. Part of the scams involve sending you a certified check which is "Fake" you send them the item or Real money for shipment or whatever & they have you as it takes time for their Fake check to clear. Meantime their gone with yours. Then you in the sh*t when the check goes bad. Delete these emails immediately.
I put a big ticket item on there this morning, & already had 3 scam emails on 2 of my email accounts & they literely said the same thing. I usually hide my email address & just post my Phone # to call if interested, but I advetized this one out of state also.
Craigslist is a good way to sell something locally, but you really have to watch out for the Low Lifes trying to get you........................& learn about these scum*bags.............

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have seen job postings that are also very suspect. Basically the same post in different cities, pretty much word for word.

I didn't even think about the pay for click angle. I was more concerned that they could somehow gain access to my files.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been using CL for 4 years now. I have been very successful selling and buying. I dont ever put my email or phone No.. Let them reply back thru the system. Then you can decide who to respond to and who to ignore (scammers). Also, use edmunds.com for free used auto pricing. More accurate than any other site for realistic true market value of a vehicle. Good luck with the sell.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gorgot to mention the truck did sell a couple of days ago, and got a call from someonje that wants me to call them if the sale falls through.
I got a dwn pmt the day it sold, supposed to be completed tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I dont bother with craigs list. 99% of the stuff is priced silly expensive and they are hoping that someone falls for it and the amount of scams is unreal. Just the other day my bro in law went to look at a house for rent that was in there. He didnt bother contacting through the add but went straight to the address as he was down the road from it. The woman answered the door and knew nothing about it. Her House was for rent in there and she didnt even know about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently placed this truck on Craig's list to sell. I received two suspicious replies wanting me to go to specific sites in order to place a book value on the truck as their computers were not working right or something and they could not get the sites. Sounds like a scam to me. Comments?

I recently put my car up for sale on autotrader.com... have not had any trouble with it. You might want to try that or at least look at the website. If you haven't sold your truck yet.. Good luck!! :thumbsup:
if you have... Congratulations!! :party:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I gorgot to mention the truck did sell a couple of days ago, and got a call from someonje that wants me to call them if the sale falls through.
I got a dwn pmt the day it sold, supposed to be completed tomorrow.

OOPS!! guess that's what I get for not reading all the responses. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is another trhead here somewhere explaining the aggravation I had with the sale of this truck that fell through. I have lost at least one sale due to the first "buyer" paying down on it for me to hold it for him then backing out. I was put in the position of having to sell my other truck in order to pay a note due when the first buyer paid down on the other truck. Plus I had to pay a few days extra interest until my other truck sold.
My ad ran out and I received another call about the truck I still have. Guy talks like he wants it as he has called a few times. Waiting on his income tax refund. I first told him I would still sell it, but I have looked and I cannot replace it for the same money and I need to keep a truck even though I also have a van.

I will check autotrader out and see what trucks ar going for.

·
ROOFING LONGER THAN NOT
4 Posts
Craigs list is a great site but i had a lady on two seperate ocassions ask me to do her a big favor and go online to get her insurance quotes for a car i'm trying to sell. i don't know the answers to all the questions the insurance will ask about her. this is a scam to get some info out of me. watch out for the scammers there are more out there than realized.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
A while back, I listed a '99 Freightliner FL60 flatbed on Craigslist for $9500. Almost immediately, I had a guy (Guy #1) who wanted to look at it. So I met him at the local Home Depot parking lot to look over the truck. He seemed like a nice enough fella and wanted it but "wouldn't have the money for a week" and wanted to know if he could give me some money to hold it for him. I already had a form for this and said I would hold it for a week for $100. He signed the form which clearly stated that all the $100 did was to cover me taking it off the market for a week. I had another guy who was also interested in it. After a week, I called Guy #1 two times and could only leave a message for him to call me and informing him that the week was up. I never heard from him. On the 10th day, I contacted Guy #2 and subsequently sold the truck to him. About a week later, Guy #1 calls to say he has the money. I tell him, "Sorry, but I sold the truck already." He rants for a bit and then says he'll come by to pick up his $100. I explain again what I told him when I accepted his $100 and had him sign the form. He said he would sue me. I said, "OK, goodbye."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts