Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
President
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one prevent the surface of concrete from popping off? I think that's called Spaulding?

Also, how do you stop the cracks? Is it more gravel base?

Also, if you have a 6" pad would doubling the gravel, provide more support, or would it be cost effective structurally better to go with 8"?

What's the weight limit that a 6" slab vs an 8" slab can hold in regards to vehicle weight?

Does more rebar make it stronger?

Don't worry I have more. :whistling

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
What do you want to park on it? 6" is a lot, like enough for dump trucks.

You can't prevent cracks, but you can make them look pretty by putting in relief cuts.

More gravel is always better than less provided it is tamped properly.

You prevent the surface from popping by not overworking it with the power trowel, not adding water while finishing and not salting it when it's done.

Rebar only increases tensile strength, not compressive. It is usually overkill for a slab.

·
President
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you want to park on it? 6" is a lot, like enough for dump trucks.

You can't prevent cracks, but you can make them look pretty by putting in relief cuts.

More gravel is always better than less provided it is tamped properly.

You prevent the surface from popping by not overworking it with the power trowel, not adding water while finishing and not salting it when it's done.

Rebar only increases tensile strength, not compressive. It is usually overkill for a slab.

At the moment, the floor in my shop is 8" with rebar, each pad is 15x15' in size, very few, actually no cracks after 45 years...with 6 ft of gravel under it (don't ask lol)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
At the moment, the floor in my shop is 8" with rebar, each pad is 15x15' in size, very few, actually no cracks after 45 years...with 6 ft of gravel under it (don't ask lol)
:eek: wow.

I was always told that spalling was the result of how you finish it or too much water in the mix, like sitdwnandhngon said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts