Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped a friend of mine put drywall up at there house the other day, we hung the board and were gonna tape and mud a couple of days later.
Well, my friend called me yesterday and told me the drywall is cracking all over the place

never had this happen before, anyone got any ideas? is it just junk drywall?

Thanks in advance

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
such as? board hung and cracking...that's about all I know

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
vert cracks, horz cracks, random cracks? long cracks, short cracks? how deep? just paper? all through? details like that. It is a very unusual occurance. G

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
gotcha, I will have to ask them tomorrow and let you guys know
the dip****s, just called me and told me after they took it all down

they should have told me before it came down, if it is defective drywall how am I supposed to get it replaced? Can't now that it's in a gazillion pieces.

Pisses me off people just can't leave shiit alone, and now they are having
a couple of other friends come over to redo it, so when they screw it up
cuz they don't know what they are doing I will get a phone call to fix it.....:no: not gonna happen.

basically from what I understood was it had just started randomly cracking all over, not sure if it was all the way through the board or not

I also remember them saying it started warping, which when I left it was flat, the only thing that comes to mind, is someone had to have messed with it. who knows.... this just bugs me cuz I have never had this happen and never heard of it happening...

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
so how long of period did this happen over? Only thing I can think of is flex in the house. Was there alot of rain, or a temp spike? Think foundation movement OR any kind of stress to the building that would have caused it. The only things I can think of.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I hope there wasn't any money promised to you for helping, cause this sounds like they didn't want to pay you. I bet theres not a thing wrong they just don't want to be oweing you. Some people :whistling

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Only time ive ever seen drywall crack in the field is either a diagonal crack on the corners of doors or windows because things moved or say if a wall carries through from the existing house to an addition. Both reasons are because the structure moved and it doesnt happen in a couple days. Maybe if the lift wasnt supported right and it all stressed in the middle? Still seems like something you woulda noticed hanging it though. Seems odd to say the least.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nope no money involved, i did it as a favor, not really concerned with it, they don't care. so w/e it still bugs me tho as to whether it really "cracked" or not.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Have you stopped by, you know dropped in "Hey how's it goin?" what you doin! then take a look around and see if any of the board that's still up look like they ones you hung. It's a little strange that's for sure.:whistling

1 - 12 of 12 Posts