Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently discovered a stair-stepped crack in my CMU foundation wall. I have a split level basement. Right at the split where the slab-on-grade elevation steps down to the next level there is a beam that sets on top of the CMU foundation wall. The crack stair steps off of this. The grade on the exterior of the house seams to have plenty of slope away from the house. When I demoed off the wall furring there was definately signs of water damage where it had came in through this small crack. The wall is still straight so the only thing I can come up with is that the beam that is bearing on this wall is simply causing the crack with the compressive load only. There does not seam to be any signs that the wall is being pushed in. My first impression is that I could simply tuck-point the CMU for a simple fix since the house is pushing 30 yrs old and most of the movement in the footings should have already occured. The other option would be to removal the cmu and fully grout the cells in this area as I replace them. Does anyone have any other thoughts/options they can think of for a simple fix that would be functional for several years?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Neolitic -

You are certainly in the wasteland of masonry. It is hard to understand why in comparison to other places on the planet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts