Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tips and tricks for this one.

Demoing most of a kitchen this week and I'm looking for tips on how to artfully remove a large stone peninsula. The caveat, and the reason this is rare for me, is that we're keeping the base cabinets. Usually when I do smashy smashy I'm disintegrating the entire room down to the sticks, but this time no harm is to come to the precious lowers. Big honkin slab o stone on top of them though and I'm wondering how to best bust that up without ruining anything. I'm thinking if I put the chisel attachment on the SDS and nudge the seams it should section out ok.

Any other advice on how to keep the base cabs pristine?

·
Super Moderator
24,412 Posts
How big are the sections? Counter?

Check the attachment of top to cabs.

Is there a plywood sub-base?

·
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm finding out more tomorrow. The sections are big enough that I'm either going to need 4 people to negotiate the peninsula out the door, or I'm going to need to crack it in place, but I'm not sure how I would go about that without damaging the lowers. From what I saw in the pictures there is no plywood base. I can't tell what the attachment method is, but I'm sure there's some kind of goop that I'm going to have to pry/sever an inch at a time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’ve used a oscillating multi tool from the inside of the box to cut through the goop. If man made material cut most of the way through from the top. Natural stone good luck, wear glasses and gloves. Think I used a fine tooth curved blade or a knife edge blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GC
122 Posts
Slow and steady. Find a starting point where you can get something in between and work your way around. Metal drywall mud knife and painters 5-in-1 tool are my go to for getting started. Wood shims can help to create separation if used where they have support over the sides of the boxes.

Pry bars should be used more like a wedge lest you damage the face.

If you're gonna break up the slab, put something inside the cab to protect it from falling chunks. Wear eye protection if using a hammer to crack it.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
You really need to stick with painting, all of this other stuff you have issues with

Pay the few hundred and hire a granite guy to remove the tops in an hour

·
Registered
Custom
13,076 Posts
Easy, the top is likely siliconed on place... if that is indeed the case, and since you're not worried about the top cracking, all you need is to "cut through the goop" as you put it to break the seal... one you run you blade of choice (or tool) you can start in one side (corner to give you best lift and more surface material to work with), tap in a shim to create an opening that you put a pry-bar cleanly into the opening inverted so the exterior of the cabinet is not damaged or finish crushed as you gently pry up... once it goes up, put another shim in the opening it creates to hold the pressure as you work around, and since you've already (mostly) broken the seal, it will quickly start to separate... if the top cracks, just easier to carry but definitely put some form of protection on bottom of base (i.e. - cardboard, tarp, etc.) in case any piece fall...

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Easy, the top is likely siliconed on place... if that is indeed the case, and since you're not worried about the top cracking, all you need is to "cut through the goop" as you put it to break the seal... one you run you blade of choice (or tool) you can start in one side, tap in a shim to create an opening that you put a pry-bar cleanly into the opening inverted so the exterior of the cabinet is not damaged or finish crushed as you gently pry up... once it goes up, put another shim in the opening it creates to hold the pressure as you work around, and since you've already (mostly) broken the seal, it will quickly start to separate... if the top cracks, just easier to carry but definitely put some form of protection on bottom of base (i.e. - cardboard, tarp, etc.) in case any piece fall...
probably 10 dollops of silicone at most on the whole top, bigger issue is the tiled backsplash if its tiled

·
Artist and not a curator
12,331 Posts
You really need to stick with painting, all of this other stuff you have issues with

Pay the few hundred and hire a granite guy to remove the tops in an hour
You mad he didn't call you to come help out?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
hahaha nope granite is heavy I dont like heavy. I have removed plenty of tops getting them loose is easy, getting them out of the house and into the truck or dumpster is hard without damaging something along the way. Now I gladly pay to have it done quickly with out damage. My guys use a large knife that they tap with a hammer and nylon shims to break it loose. My job is to disconnect the sink plumbing and watch.

·
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's def jelly.

I'm great at weaseling off old counters for swaps, but I've never had to remove a large piece of stone without damaging what's underneath.

Looking for methods to sever it in place, basically. Hopefully I won't have to grind it, but I think that's most likely what's going to happen.
Should be a gas.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I would love to watch, granite seems much heavier when you have to be careful of damaging something, add in any stairs and a bigger nope. I had slabs where they used 4 people to bring it in, which means the same bringing it out

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
If there is a seam, propane torch to soften the filler/adhiesive. No seam, propane torch to warm the top along a line, cold water to crack it.

Prop up the end of the top, gravity will help the process.

Maybe a stone breaking foam????

Explosives are the next step if the above does not work......

Tom

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,777 Posts
I would remove it whole, and break it on the floor or somewhere else, other than the top of the cabinet I’m tying to save.

·
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great news, everyone. The size of the peninsula was grossly exaggerated, and the existing countertop is Corian.
We're gonna be ok.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Great news, everyone. The size of the peninsula was grossly exaggerated, and the existing countertop is Corian.
We're gonna be ok.
You did that on purpose, didn't you?

You'd be great with a youtube channel, and I wouldn't even be surprised if you have one already. "Start up your engines!"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts