Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm checking with my power company on getting rid of the overhead line in favor of an underground line-they'll 'contact' me in a week to check out the site. Can anyone give me a ballpark on cost-it's a 70' run to the pole-already has a 200a service-the only thing wanted is to get the line out of the trees into the ground. would make sense to run enough conduit to bury the phone and cable at the same time.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Need more info and even then your price will vary by your location. Do you have a full basement, house have a crawl space or is it sitting on a slab? Here in NY if you go underground then the grid company wants a dis-connect. Who is doing the digging? Does the main panel have to be relocated or is a wall exposed to run conduit to existing panel. Alot of variables in this scenario. IMO for a full basement, running conduit/service up into existing wall, me doing the digging, installing phone/coax in seperate conduit, URD going in conduit, me drilling hole through foundation, inspection fee, etc would run at least $2500 at minumum.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
In DC Pepco will do that for free?
They'll do it free here too. It's worth it to eliminate tree maintenance/problems.
Our local poco makes you buy the wire since copper went crazy:furious:

·
Registered
49 Posts
A few years ago when I did my farm house they charged me $125 to come down the pole but allowed up to 150ft underground at no charge. Go figure. Don't remember what it was per ft after 150 as I only went 148.5ft. We obviously had to convert from wall meter socket to underground meter base.

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
currently the meter location is fine-about 3' off the ground and the service comes in through a 2" metal pipe dropped down the roof mounted on the outside of the wall. Svc cable already goes into the 200a box through a block wall.

I know with the City of Dover, they will upgrade to buried line for free to avoid trees, but I'm with a different power company (Delmarva Pwr).

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I've heard the going rate is around tree fiddy.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Here in Albuquerque the utility doesn't charge for the drop but on a service change they charge for the trenching and backfill unless you provide that service yourself.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My power company charged about tree fiddy per foot to bury it to a pedestal and I took it from there. So I put the pedestal pretty close to the pole.

You're on the right track with burying conduit. I buried some and ran the telephone line through it, then the cable line. I located my pedestal so I could come off it with 100 amp service for my garage. And again, think about conduit to your outbuildings. I know you're an auto enthusiast, and a lot of guys like to have on-line diagnostic equipment in their garages.

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to drop two additional lines of conduit for phone and cable, figured 3/4" would be sufficeint. Is one line typical for phone/cable?

I already have 100A to the shop-great move :)

nice idea about the company's website-I may not have been looking in the right area, but didn't find any mention of rates regarding conversion to underground service. After I get the conversion, I'll post back the cost and how much the poco picked up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Uh.....you will have to wait a week for a real answer. Any figures thrown about from $0 to $7000 will be pure speculation.

Here, POCO construction costs are sometimes $0 up to $500. Customer does all trenching, conduit and panel work.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
You folks seem to get the POCO to do alot for you. Here the Grid company will only give you the 1st 100' of overhead and thats it, they are also only responsible to your weatherhead. Any underground service requires a dis-connect and you must provide the wire up their pole as well as the 1st 10' of conduit, the wire is also the HO responsibility from the connections down. The conduit also must be plugged off in some manner to keep rodents, debris or water intrusion from going in or the grid company can refuse to hook up.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I just ran a single 2" line. I thought that would take care of anything.
I hope so. 'Round these parts, it's 4" minimum if the POCO is gonna use it. Plus, they require a jet line in it as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have not a lot of information for you, but as stated before, it varies by location as far as price goes. As far as burying the coax cable and the phone line with it, they have to be buried sperate from the power lines due to the bandwidth on the cabling itself. I'm not sure if it states that in the NEC book, but I was taught that by numerous people. If I am not mistaken, it as to be at least 12-24 inches from the power lines. They may be in the same trench though (phone and coax).

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Delmarva Electric tech called me and the scoop is there is a $1250 charge plus $7/ foot run.

thank you and have a good day. click.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
The Delmarva Electric tech called me and the scoop is there is a $1250 charge plus $7/ foot run.

thank you and have a good day. click.
At that price, put in a back up gen and let them come fix the line each time a limb takes it out. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts