Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know pricing questions are frowned upon. But........
I am pricing out an attic above a garage remodel and just want to toss them a rough quote at this time. I have all my material and labor priced out but wanted to throw in a ball park figure for installing a mini split. It is about 500 square feet. I was going to tell them about 3k for the mini split with installation. I know there are a lot of variables but it would be a pretty straight forward installation. I am in western PA. Does 3k sound like a good ball park figure for a single zone mini split for 500 square feet of attic remodel?

Thanks..............nicko

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would depend on your definition of "good price" and how fast you want to go broke.
I don't mean a good price for them. I mean a good price for me to cover my a$$. I could contact a guy I use for my HVAC once in a while but he is not good at getting back to people so i just thought i would ask here to get rough idea. Thats all i was looking for.

nicko

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
957 Posts
Local Lowes for a DIY mini-split $1972.00.
They have many options. Looks like the power, 230 volt is a major concern.
But I'm not an HVAC guy.
I looked sometime ago about one for a still not finished room renovation.

MRCOOL 18000-BTU 230-Volt 20 SEER 750-sq Smart Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heater with 25-ft Installation Kit
Item #1956840Model #DIY-18-HP-230B25
  • Energy Star certified– 20 SEER, 10 HSPF
  • Easy DIY installation: pre-charged R-410A 25ft quick connect line doesn't require special tools, equipment, or training
  • Designed to efficiently heat and cool a single 750 Sq Ft room

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thumbs up on Mr. Cool. Easy install, with pre charged lines. Check with your inspector if it’s legal for the GC to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
I don't mean a good price for them. I mean a good price for me to cover my a$$. I could contact a guy I use for my HVAC once in a while but he is not good at getting back to people so i just thought i would ask here to get rough idea. Thats all i was looking for.

nicko
See, that's the thing - you price it too high you lose work. Price too low, you pay to work. Theres a lot of variables none of us can account for. You're going to need power there, what's it going to take to get that power where you need it? Maybe their panel is full - we don't know. Maybe you've got to make a long run through difficult access to get power from point A to point B. Maybe there is an issue getting the outside unit set somewhere within reach of the lines it comes with. Maybe there's something nobody here thinks of - we don't have eyes on the building.

If you're installing them all day, you could probably put a price on an "average" job where the easy ones make up for the hard ones but the costs can vary enough to where you could get your ass kicked using a "standard" pricing - especially someone elses. So it really goes back to the whole reason pricing threads are frowned on here. Theres a formula. How long will it take, how much do you want to make to spend that time? Pad it some for the unforeseen. There's your price.

That amount of time can also vary a good bit depending on which system you buy. The Mr. Cool might be a lot easier than others. If you shoot a "Mr Cool" price for install, and they go with a different unit - you hosed yourself.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess this is why pricing questions are frowned upon. “I digress”. thats a line from George Costanza.
nicko

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you don't know how to do something, you can't be low bid and MAKE money doing it the first time...........

Learning COSTS money. Do you hire student doctors for health care?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,720 Posts
In 2013 it cost me $3400 to put in my 4 ton split unit. Not a mini. The condenser and air handler cost $2600 and the rest was the "cost". I think I paid the HVAC guy $300 to connect the units. Pressurized, cleaned and then pulled a vacuum and then cracked open the reserve and ran the unit. Had to remove some refrigerant to balance it.

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
In 2013 it cost me $3400 to put in my 4 ton split unit. Not a mini. The condenser and air handler cost $2600 and the rest was the "cost". I think I paid the HVAC guy $300 to connect the units. Pressurized, cleaned and then pulled a vacuum and then cracked open the reserve and ran the unit. Had to remove some refrigerant to balance it.
My 3 ton was 2600 - air handler, no heater, compressor. Replacement of existing unit. Installed cost was 4 grand. Air handler in attic, pretty tight access, needed new pan and some other things. April 2020 I think.

But thats not a mini split either.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My HVAC guy says to figure 4K. He said his price is up due to cost of material almost doubled in the last six months.
nicko

1 - 19 of 19 Posts