Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you ever calculate how much money you put into a job per a square foot?

We're currently charging $2.60/sq ft. Im suggesting we go to about $2.80/sq ft. Our cost per sq ft. seems to be hitting around $1.40/sq. ft.

We're a crew of 3 people, how many, say....ill just throw out an average.....how many 1800 sq ft spec houses do you think we should be able to complete?......on the average scale of efficiency.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive read how most of you do that on here.....it seems that no one in this area does that.

We have a few GC's that we work with. If we were to break things down by the openings, lights, fans, cans......should we discuss it with the GC before throwing out a bid like that?

Im finding that our overhead is what beats us the most....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
I always break down elec per opening, per circuit etc, then add an allowance for specialty fixtures, cans, fans, etc.

Bob
Yep, that's how the electricians bid the jobs I have for them.

I had never heard of electricians bidding by the sqft before.
I learned something new today, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are charging the same as we are paying per sq foot 2.60 there is a basic package that comes with that we provide all fixtures ecxept can lights and all the electricians in this area seem to be about the same price wise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In NC, I pay $1.70 per sf for electrical... That includes wiring per code, wiring all built-in electrical appliances (eg., HVAC, water heater, gas logs, etc...),hanging all light fixtures, two ceiling fan installs, 2 flood lights, doorbell install, smoke detector install, garage panel box, 3 cable and 3 telephone outlets.. Garage wiring is an additional $275.. All material included except light fixtures, smoke detectors, and doorbell.

I get this price from two different electricians.. One in Raleigh and one in Charlotte.. It is in line with other quotes that I have received. They typically rough-in with a 3 man crew and trim out with a 2 man crew. It usually takes them 2 days to complete both phases. The houses are in the 2000-2400 sf range...

·
Registered
117 Posts
mdshunk said:
Another in a long list of reasons why it would suck to be an electrician in North Carolina. I do a complete takeoff when I prepare a bid, but this workes out to between 4 and 6 dollars per square foot.
Indeed. It's tough to get a fair rate for your work in this state, especially with knucklesticks out there who would do a 2000 sq ft house for $1.70. That barely covers my material costs. They must be paying their workers plantation wages.

This is why I do very very few new homes anymore. The remod, renovation market is more profitable. When I do a new home, I don't give a sq foot price; and I only accept work from builders who already know the value they get from me and therefore don't quibble. Of course I realize this is a luxury that many electrical contractors around here don't have. Pity they don't realize that don't do themselves or anyone else any favors when they agree to work for next to nothing.

Forgive my rant, but cut-rate contractors in this state really bug me.

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
I was told $7/sq is a good price but I'm not sure
For 60K feet, how quickly can you find out and to what level of certainty? :eek:

One method was to take the lowest price LP and the highest price HP and the avg price AP and weight the numbers like so
(LP + 4xAP + HP)/6.

So if LP is 5 and HP is 10 and AP is 6.5 then you should charge (5 + 26 + 10)/6 = 6.8, =~7.

You need some price data, the more datapoints the better.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,443 Posts
Thank you for posting on ContractorTalk.com. Straight pricing questions are frowned upon here, as are 'Going Rate' questions. If you are a contractor seeking advice regarding your pricing structure, the Moderators of this forum would like to direct you to this thread: "Pricing, Estimating and Success".

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.