Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. Just finished a huge job where the contracted work was completed and to help them out I agreed to install all the base and door trims for the project.Commercial studios.

They provided the trim, I installed and caulked , spackled and sanded it all. Paint ready. Floors were a mess (old exposed slab, very uneven on half the job) so many cuts had to be ripped on the bottoms in spots.Half the doors they ordered also needed filler strips between the jam and the casings because they were steel stud.And some fillers also for the old walls that weren't plumb.

It was such a massive job that I am charging hourly but I want to see if that falls in line with cost per foot.

I'm thinking $2.00 per foot is an average out there? And the cost to install solid core pre-hung doors?

Mostly long runs but the bathrooms were "cut heavy."

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
id stick with tree-fiddy a ft, this way you can take the Miss out for dinner!!:thumbsup:

Reactions: pfloyd

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id stick with tree-fiddy a ft, this way you can take the Miss out for dinner!!:thumbsup:
Yeah, well believe me, I pretty much lost the Miss on this one BECAUSE of the job (3+ months @ 70 to 80 hrs a week) !!

But that's another thread.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm confused. Your location says LA
Oh yeah.I moved back up in December. California tanked.

So the consensus is 2 bucks per foot is fair? How about solid core prehung doors with filler strips? I'd say each one takes an hour when you factor in install and the fillers ,caulk and spackling.

You are in Van, what do you charge? I hear it was quite bad here last winter.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Just finished a huge job
It was such a massive job that I am charging hourly but I want to see if that falls in line with cost per foot.
Well now, you've just discovered why a per foot price is meaningless.
Some jobs are clean and straightforward, some have *****ed up floors that require a lot of cuts.
Some have wood doors that fit the opening, some have metal ones that need to be furred out,etc, etc, etc.
How many hours did you put in?
How many lineal feet did you install?
How much did you make? (No, I really don't care what your numbers are)

With those three figures, you can figure out your lineal foot price (for that particular project).

(Unless you posted this "going rate" thread just to get a little attention - if that's the case, you could always just post some more pics of the blue log house addition...)

Mac

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some jobs are clean and straightforward, some have *****ed up floors that require a lot of cuts.
Some have wood doors that fit the opening, some have metal ones that need to be furred out,etc, etc, etc.

With those three figures, you can figure out your lineal foot price (for that particular project).

(Unless you posted this "going rate" thread just to get a little attention - if that's the case, you could always just post some more pics of the blue log house addition...)

Mac
Yes. I just want attention.:rolleyes:

The reason I asked is because the market is really wacky right now with the recession and the Olympics working against each other in Vancouver. No need for sarcasm.

Anyways, I'll charge $80 a door with the casings and $2 a foot for base.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts

Mac
Oh no...THE HORROR....NOT AGAIN!!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

Mac
Oh no...THE HORROR....NOT AGAIN!!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:
The pix seem to have disappeared....
http://www.contractortalk.com/f30/what-addition-worth-built-over-logs-37365/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts