Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm courious what you other guys have to pay for a deck permit.

It's getting ridiculous at the city of austin permit office. Besides the fact you can only apply for a permit on mondays for a few hours & even fewer hours on wednesday, the permits are running around 800.00
Considering the major pita it is to go down there & get one I inquired about cost with some of the permit expediting services here. Most want around 750.00 for a deck permit or 150.00 per hour. So now I have to tell folks that do not want to pick up their own permit it'll be another 1500 bucks?

All the other neighboring cities are pretty easy to deal with & cheap other than Lakeway, they are as bad or worse that cofa.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'm courious what you other guys have to pay for a deck permit.

It's getting ridiculous at the city of austin permit office. Besides the fact you can only apply for a permit on mondays for a few hours & even fewer hours on wednesday, the permits are running around 800.00
Considering the major pita it is to go down there & get one I inquired about cost with some of the permit expediting services here. Most want around 750.00 for a deck permit or 150.00 per hour. So now I have to tell folks that do not want to pick up their own permit it'll be another 1500 bucks?

All the other neighboring cities are pretty easy to deal with & cheap other than Lakeway, they are as bad or worse that cofa.
ouch ours aren't that high but all over the place. 0 standard including the way they review the plans. one calls this the other calls that with no efin standards. time to get approved min 20days usually 40days. sometimes 3-4 months and sometime zoning 3-6months.
it's easier to get it after and call it a "build as". I find they get in/out with 20day which is what they broadcast. A drug addict contractor was demoing a building in downtown. the city has over 4pages of complaints about not looking safe. the building fell and killed people. the inspector killed himself... terrible. the city had knee jerk reaction and has started enforcing what they should have been doing for the past 30yrs. Know we're just waiting around for average 5-6weeks for that permit to get approved. The fee's are the fees and they gotta suck it up. Our fees to the customers has increased 100% in the past 12months. Just got a notice that there will additional fees on decks...of I think $50 or $150 can't remember I just show up with a blank check. Because after all we really are just cash registers. You know money in / money out. Bottom line keep tagging / bagging deals get that back log built up and the rest will follow.

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we just have to suck it up, what choice do we have?

I had a nice deck/pergola job ready to go other than the permit. I tell the guy he can save $ by getting the permit himself after I provide him with everthing he needs or I can do it for 600. He chooses to go himself, after spending two days at the permit office & not even getting the application finalized he calls me. Says he's frustrated with the city process & pulls the plug on the deal til this fall when he has more time.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yes we just have to suck it up, what choice do we have?

I had a nice deck/pergola job ready to go other than the permit. I tell the guy he can save $ by getting the permit himself after I provide him with everthing he needs or I can do it for 600. He chooses to go himself, after spending two days at the permit office & not even getting the application finalized he calls me. Says he's frustrated with the city process & pulls the plug on the deal til this fall when he has more time.

that's why you have to take care of the entire process. no exceptions.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I just had to figure out the permit costs for an apartment renovation. About 100,000sf of floor space.

All I'm doing is roofing,siding, windows and doors.

My permit is $20,000.

If I were building it new, guess what my permit would be? $20,000.

The fact that they don't have different fees here for commercial renovations is amazing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The town I am in charges a flat fee of $25 for any permit (no inspections), some of the other municipalities charge from $10 to $25 per thousand, others don't even issue permits.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most towns around me are a percentage. The cheapest is 1% with a $50 min and the worst is 10% with a $100 min. If you're doing the work on your own house they "estimate" what it will be. I have been hassled a couple times about pricing and told I was lying and they would adjust it as they saw fit. I had to show them the full signed contract for them to believe the price.

·
Super Moderator
29,916 Posts
For many reasons, one being distance/profitability, one being the people, the main being the municipalities, I won't work in Lakeway or Austin any longer. I had considered it, but have declined. Ill stick to HSB and the Highland Lakes.

Reactions: TxElectrician

·
Super Moderator
44,599 Posts
I think I'm going to become Chuck in the Truck. Phuckum! We not only have to pay 1000 bucks for permits I have to change all their plumbing fixtures, this includes, toilets, faucets, shower fixtures. All to low water flow. I'm not only a deck builder, I'm the water police as well!

·
Super Moderator
44,599 Posts
The last whole home gut remodel I did it cost about 7000.00 and took 9 months. I had to notify all the neighbors to give them an opportunity to protest then it had to go though the city council. All this because the amount of building exceed the percentage of the property allowed by 3%. Then I had to put in sidewalks a a condition.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Is that the water and sewer hookup also? My town is 16 to 17k for permits impact fees and sewer/water hook up. Crazy.
No hook ups, I left out the School Dist. Mitigation fee, what the heck is another grand or two....

Also does not count Archy/Draftsman fees, Title 24 calcs, structural engineering, fire sprinklers, geo tech, and Lord knows what else will jump up.....:laughing:

·
Registered
568 Posts
griz said:
Your missing a couple of zeros on your numbers...:whistling:laughing:
Nope, until two years ago that $25 flat fee was only $15.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.