Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of not giving free estimates anymore. For small jobs I am going to quote a per hour quote of say $70. That is what all the handymen in this area charge.Some charge $90(Mr.handyman)
People like to waste your time and money getting 6 quotes for a job worth a few hundred, Forget about it !
These handyman franchises that quote over the phone by the hour are thriving very well so I think I can too.
If the job is big like a kitchen or bathroom I will quote a ballpark over the phone.
We have an electrical contractor here. He charges $89 to come out and give an estimate. You pay the $89 even if you don't use him. His thing is if you say yes to the quote they start the job right then and there. He deducts the $89 from the job if you use him. He has 10 trucks on the road so it must be working. I think the days of free estimates has to end. Otherwise people abuse the hell out of you.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
If you can do it I would. Because I know I have had my fair share of price checkers and cs'er that want a quote without seeing the work or blueprint. :rolleyes:
Depending on how I am feeling I will give them a low or high quote. The low quotes are to waste their time with calling me for a week or two. Tit for tat. Good for a laugh I guess. LOL

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Are you qualifying your leads over the phone before driving out to them?
Exactly!

I think quoting a rate for small jobs is one thing, I think quoting a range for anything that isn't a small job is financial suicide.

Customer: How much? (In customers mind he is invisioning his pig with some lipstick on it to dress it up.)
You: somewhere between $5000-$7000. (In your mind you are invisioning Pamela Anderson)
Customer: Okay thanks I will let you know. (hangs up because 5-7K is a lot of money to spend on a pig)
You: Waiting, holding breath for customer to call back.
Customer: calls another contractor who understands sales and sells him not only some lipstick for his pig, but after showing up and seeing the job, sells him some nice high heel shoes, a wig and some earings, which you never even got a shot at, because you are still waiting by the phone.

I don't think customers abuse us, I think we abuse ourselves by knowing less about our business than our customers do.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I haven't given free estimates since 89, seemed that I was spending more time on tire kickers than working. Charging for your time should be acceptable and you can roll it back into the job if you're the selected contractor.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I don't think customers abuse us, I think we abuse ourselves by knowing less about our business than our customers do.

So very right. Our own worst enemy is the guy down the street doing it for free. Even when they go broke there will be 10 more to pop up in there place.
I personally don't want low end jobs fi your not in ritzy neighborhood I don't bother with yeah.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
JustaFramer said:
So very right. Our own worst enemy is the guy down the street doing it for free. Even when they go broke there will be 10 more to pop up in there place.
I personally don't want low end jobs fi your not in ritzy neighborhood I don't bother with yeah.
Words to make some money by. :Thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts