Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
BrandConst said:
My guess is you're a homeowner because I don't think a seasoned contractor would post a question like this but go ahead and try RS Means...
Maybe he's not a seasoned contractor but getting started and wants a guide to check his numbers with. There's a reason why these company's sell price guides..... It's because people use them. Why jump to calling him a homeowner and not a contractor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ty there buddy ,I am a contractor ,don't own a home anymore ,I know from experience bidding for city work that large company's like con Edison and delta airlines use the same guides with there internal estimators and quantity surveyors, so they know where prices have to be ,and its the bid in the middle that always win the contract ,I've been working on these jobs since 1993 ,and delta just released plans for another 11 gates at JFK ,and they havnt finished the last 9 yet ,I don't want to look like a guesstimating on professional jobs .ty

1,183 Posts
Ty there buddy ,I am a contractor ,don't own a home anymore ,I know from experience bidding for city work that large company's like con Edison and delta airlines use the same guides with there internal estimators and quantity surveyors, so they know where prices have to be ,and its the bid in the middle that always win the contract ,I've been working on these jobs since 1993 ,and delta just released plans for another 11 gates at JFK ,and they havnt finished the last 9 yet ,I don't want to look like a guesstimating on professional jobs .ty
So your a painting contractor? Looking to find out how to bid against Delta airlines??

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So your a painting contractor? Looking to find out how to bid against Delta airlines??
I'm looking for more clarity as well. You're looking to paint the gates for Delta?...or out bid Delta?... or you just used them as an example and got off on a little tangent?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hmmm I think it's pretty clear that he is bidding on painting the new gates. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. However, as is often the case, I could be entirely off base.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where did he say he's a painting contractor?

I think he's saying he wants to bid on building gates at an airport but hasn't the foggiest idea of what the price might be. It sounds like he has no business bidding on such a project in the first place.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Calgaryfence said:
Where did he say he's a painting contractor?

I think he's saying he wants to bid on building gates at an airport but hasn't the foggiest idea of what the price might be. It sounds like he has no business bidding on such a project in the first place.
Why? Expanding businesses should be forbidden :)!

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
based on his post im getting the impression he's simply looking for a program to aid him in putting quotes together.. not looking for advise on how to come up with numbers.. let the guy speak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't want to bid on the building of the terminal ,or even on the job at all ,but I used to have bid pro on my laptop ,updated now to ipad ,just looking for app to generate bids ,there is set prices to bid by on these jobs ,I have been contracting in Europe for last two years ,just want to stay up to date ,but ty guys ,I actually don't need any now ,just finished an NYC rapid repair contract installing boilers in breezy point ,back to home building now and can't stop the phone from ringing ,too much work ,but thanks for advice .
P.S .i don't do painting ,no time for that anymore .

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Ipad of paper...works great!:thumbsup::laughing:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually came across an app today called "Construction Cost Estimator" which is available for OSX, iPad and iPhone. I have not tried it yet but plan I doing the free 2-week trial for my Macbook. The OSX version is $39.99 and iOS6 versions are $19.99, not bad for what appears to be pretty good estimating software (at least from the reviews I've read), but they do charge you an additional $49.99 for each of the 3 Craftsman Costbooks that you can download they have National Construction Estimator, National Home Improvement Estimator and National Renovation and Insurance Estimator, but they are optional. You can also just put in your own custom pricing. As I said previously, I personally have not tried it yet but will be giving it run this week. I will give you some more feedback after I've personally used it.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
I actually came across an app today called "Construction Cost Estimator" which is available for OSX, iPad and iPhone. I have not tried it yet but plan I doing the free 2-week trial for my Macbook. The OSX version is $39.99 and iOS6 versions are $19.99, not bad for what appears to be pretty good estimating software (at least from the reviews I've read), but they do charge you an additional $49.99 for each of the 3 Craftsman Costbooks that you can download they have National Construction Estimator, National Home Improvement Estimator and National Renovation and Insurance Estimator, but they are optional. You can also just put in your own custom pricing. As I said previously, I personally have not tried it yet but will be giving it run this week. I will give you some more feedback after I've personally used it.
I purchased the app last night, the app is pretty cool. Waiting for my mac mini to update then I may be purchasing the desk top app. Really like to know if the cost book I made will import, if it does this app will save me a lot of time

1 - 19 of 19 Posts