Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quality will always depend on cost and experience. I am making less per SF now than what I was earning 12 years ago. I lost one job to a client that told me he recieved a lobor cost for some stone flatwork at his residence for $2.00 a foot...A bit later he had the nerve to call me and ask if I was interested in "finishing the job up" the other guy hasn't shown up for a few weeks. The porch had a slope running back to the house, LOL, sad for him. Well what the guy did was lay in all the big stones (for SF coverage) leaving voids where later cuts will have to be placed. He was paid for the SF and never showed back. So I come back with a bid that was higher than my first, I didn't get the job.

I had dropped my first bid, when he originaly called me and I went out and talked and explaned to him what we could do, from 12.00 SF labor down to 5.00. It would be risky but I wanted (needed) the work and he was on a tight budgit. He ended up going with this guy, Armando or something I think, who said he could do it for a fraction of my cost and he got a lousy job incomplete to boot.

Used to be between 3 and 5 jobs in the classified every sunday for masons. Now...well I can's seem to buy a job.

I am now diversifying into other feilds after 22 years in masonry, apprenticeing in another trade. Diversity is good though.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do these days. Kudos for apprenticing and not trying to just jump in like some guys (read hacks).

Sounds like you handled the HO just right when he realized he got screwed. It's what I would have done. He got what he deserved with the low bid and still he didn't learn (turned you down 2nd time).

I probably wouldn't have lowered my initial bid though. To him, it may look like you were trying to gouge him with your 1st number before you dropped it from $12 to $5. Stick around here and you'll hear that alot. I don't do it anymore.

I guess you gotta believe that time and reputation is going to catch up with these hacks and they will disappear. Problem is they are like weeds, eventually something pops back up in it's place.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Two dollars a ft , you might as well do it for free at that price..... stick to your guns and the work will come if you have a good rep..

I would not get in my truck and leave the shop for that kind of money....... Better days ahead I hope.....:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, you guys are right and I apprieciate your comments. Let us let The Good Lord to giude us to give a fair and right price.

Thanks.

We have to eat too. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
A quality job comes at a price, you handled it well, although I probably wouldn't have dropped the original price either. You get what you pay for & this customer learned this lesson the hard way. Good luck with the new venture

1 - 6 of 6 Posts