Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where I should be posting this gutter question but... I have a customer who is getting water from one corner of her basement. It's right in the area under a black corrugated tee which connects two downspouts and sends it out away from the house. This tee is basically female on all sides so it seems that it would let water out in the direction of flow. It's not clogged and I'm wondering if this fitting should be changed. Do these thin black tees for corrugated pipe tend to function well or are they pretty leaky?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
That black 4" pipe is good if no other connections are needed Like a leader drain extension on ground.. Id switch to the pvc and id even glue it if thart much of a problem area.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm not all that familiar with gutter/leader drain methods but it didn't seem like the proper fittings and setup

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm resurrecting this thread. Never ended up doing any work on this but it's a colleague of my girlfriends so I may still end up doing a fix if I can figure it out.

The problem is, she has had this setup for 8 years with no water issues. I'm having a hard time imagining the leader tee is letting out that much water.

She recently had sewage backup and bottom of drywall was removed. Is it possible that water was always coming in but only became obvious when drywall , baseboards and carpet were removed?

The leaky corner of foundation is up against a flower bed that gets watered but she only sees water puddle during heavy rains.

Just wondering if replacing with pvc and sealed tee will be adequate.

Attachments

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Like you said i find it hard to believe that this is from a leaky joint now that there is a pic. Maybe a small crack in the foundation and since the bed is always damp maybe worked its way in?

·
Gutter Hanger
281 Posts
That big raised bed landscaping look like a big water retainer to me. Sure, the black corrugated drains away whatever comes through the downspout. But what about all those yards of dirt above grade that are piled against the foundation?
I think NYGUTTERGUY may have something with the theory about some kind of breach in the foundation.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My girlfriend is house-sitting here for the next few weeks so ill have to look at it when rain comes. Mega flower bed being watered against the house definitely doesnt seem like a great idea. Checking the foundation for breaks makes sense... a little digging...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have seen perforated pipe used in this situation and the water leaking out causes real problems. I would switch out to pvc until you get at least 10 feet from the house.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Before you start digging remember, water is tricky. What may seem obvious, sometimes isn't. Meaning, the water that you see coming into the house could actually be coming from another less obvious location.

Tracing the root of water issues is often a pita.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts