Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd like to see the different cornice (not pronounced cor-nish) that is typical in the various regions of the planet.

I will start off with the region in the Re: line followed by a picture.

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WA State - Lindal Cedar Home

·
4,617 Posts
Good grief... doesn't anyone in Memphis clean up their job site? That place looks like an OSHA fine or liability suit waiting to happen.

Reactions: trimworks

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
two hurts in one photo. first the shaky scaffolding and then all the debris to impale yourself on when you fall from it. I almost sent a guy home wednesday for putting one end of a 24 foot werner decorator plank on the top of an eight foot step ladder. ON SAND! I said "Ed? WTF's wrong with you? I can't see how you have been a carpenter for over 25 years and haven't crippled yourself, take it down"

ETA, looked at the photo immediately above that shaky scaffold one. I see a tripping hazard with all that hose laying on those wood planks. It was a great idea though to leave that finger gap just above the 2X4 sub facia for the guy to grab onto when the scaffold collapses. And why the board roof sheathing? Don't they have plywood in Tennessee yet?

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's an image thing among the builders I think. The "good" builders insist on white pine 1x8 or 1x10 from Maine. The "cheap" builders use OSB. I don't know....the pine system takes double the nails and it is very stiff over 24" o.c. rafters.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
It's an image thing among the builders I think. The "good" builders insist on white pine 1x8 or 1x10 from Maine. The "cheap" builders use OSB. I don't know....the pine system takes double the nails and it is very stiff over 24" o.c. rafters.
yeah looks great telegraphing through that felt. Perhaps their shooting for that enhanced "shadow effect" when it telegraphs through them architectural shingles. and they don't even bother to stagger the joints on different rafters? is it 1940 all over again?

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopkinsville, KY

I didn't frame these - just drove by them on the way to the assisted living apartment I was framing

Attachments

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Itae-won 2-Dong, Seoul, Republic of Korea

This was the roof access in the building I lived in off-post in downtown Seoul

I could look over the edge of the roof into the courtyard of the Algerian Embassy while I grilled steak on my hibachi. Them's were the days..:whistling

Attachments

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good grief... doesn't anyone in Memphis clean up their job site? That place looks like an OSHA fine or liability suit waiting to happen.
New thread idea........"bad" /dirty/dangerous jobsites

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
That one in TN with the 1x decking, didn't they have to put ply over it for the warranty on the architecturals? You can't put archs down here on boards, only sheet products.

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mike,

Did you get to side that Lindal?
No. The builder (the Samish project builder) stiffed me for two months worth of work from AUG / SEP...I had to scramble and move on to other things. He's paid me half....but late has a ripple effect in my money stream. My range, currently, is 250 miles :eek::censored: because I have to.....so if there is anything going on in your neck o' the woods that you need help with....consider me available.

Looks good. I have to tell you that after using Zip, I'm loving it. We'll more than likely use it on the custom we just started. I'm thinking 90% or better that we will.

I'll get some shots of cornice work. We are very very basic here.
The Zip is good stuff...my only complaint was that I had some on a wall that was exposed to a weekends worth of ground splashing...the entire wall for two feet up from the ground was super warped.

·
Design Build
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That one in TN with the 1x decking, didn't they have to put ply over it for the warranty on the architecturals? You can't put archs down here on boards, only sheet products.
Warranty? :blink:

I only saw felt paper then the shingles. The builder was a stand up guy - big time in the Home Builder's Association, and more pricey than average. If there were warranty issues, he'd be all over it.:thumbsup:

Maybe its a snow load difference. It rarely snows in Gun-town...no heavy load to mash the shingles into the cracks between the 1 by's.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yeah, maybe you're right, here you gotta have sheets down they won't let you put archs on boards. I would imagine that is the same in WA, no?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts