Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sponge
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I got a question,
I have a guy that wants to put in a corner window in on a remodel, Clear view, no corner post.

Any advice on how wide we can go on within reason. Typical without major engineering. Its a single story on a rased foundation of about 1'.

I know I will have to put in a two lam beams oneach wall to form a cantilever, and I asume they will make us poor a pad and post it.

I guess im just looking for some tips on what to expect.:blink:

Im just trying to bid for now.

Thanks!

·
General Contractor
7,898 Posts
If you need major engineering or not it will depend on the size of the window... In some cases you can use architectural corner window, which has a special frame and structural glass and you don't need to cantilever anything, in some cases you can use specialty made steel corner "lintels" if you have a masonry wall.

Hard to give advise when you don't have a visual of the structure and what you have there... with that said and in any case scenario you should consult an Architect when doing structural modifications.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The header is a steel beam cantilevered over steel column studs. Its my understanding LVLs cant be cantilevered very far. I've framed a couple houses years ago that had this detail, you will need an engineer if you are trying to aciheve glass to glass corner.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Looks like the span there may prohibit you from doing one that large. We have done them several times, but I think the largest was about 4'.

·
designer + carpenter
556 Posts
Much harder to do in a retro situation. I would say it is likely not worth it in your situation. Sell them something else they can enjoy.
Exactly. You will have to use a deep LVL (or not as deep steel beam) to achieve that cantilereved span. You can check the LVL tables via the manufacturer to check approx. overhangs and loads. You have to add two columns for each side, one at the start of the window opening and another further in the wall to pickup the end of each beam. It will be way more expensive versus using a steel column in the corner (steel b/c it can be thinner and carry more load than wood / masonry).

·
Sponge
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear all you guys!
That all makes sense because of the retro situation its a pain.

They pretty much bought this house for that corner view of the ocean.

I was thinking 4' cant on one leg and maybe then the other beam can bolt to it for larger span on second leg. Engineer for sure! Im just trying to bid the job now.

Everyones input helps.

·
Design Build
4,110 Posts
Explain to them that glass alone is not structural and that the part of their house above the window is being acted upon by gravity just like everything else (i don't know, maybe they slept through high school physics class)

It could be done if both side walls were removed and replaced with a steel girder-style design that was engineered to support cantilevered steel beams over the top of the window and would be mated at the corner.

It comes down to how much $$$ is an unobstructed ocean view worth to them.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
its really easy using steel, and it possible with lvl, but 3'-4' is about max with out a post in the corner using lvl. the one we did was using 11-7/8 deep beams (header heights had to match.)
i have seen it done out of steel, and it was 2 beams with 2 posts bolted to the foundation each. the corner bolted together.

remember the engineering principal for cantilevers, 2/3 in the wall and 1/3 span.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts