Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine lives in NYC. His building is trying to get up to code and he asked me to come in and help him with some stuff. One of the items is a column that needs to be wrapped with double 5/8ths rock for fire protection.

Question is, what's the story with corner bead on double 5/8ths and steel studs? This sounds like a nightmare. Is there a trick I don't know or do you just angle 2" screws?

Or do you use that thing that punches the stuff in with no nails or screws?

What is that thing?

Anybody? I hate working in the city.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Friend of mine lives in NYC. His building is trying to get up to code and he asked me to come in and help him with some stuff. One of the items is a column that needs to be wrapped with double 5/8ths rock for fire protection.

Question is, what's the story with corner bead on double 5/8ths and steel studs? This sounds like a nightmare. Is there a trick I don't know or do you just angle 2" screws?

Or do you use that thing that punches the stuff in with no nails or screws?

What is that thing?

Anybody? I hate working in the city.
I don't think USG super wides would work.. No-coat sticks 3.25 or No-coat 4.50 ....Why are you even attempting shiny 90's..:blink:???

If you use a 1 1/2 screw you may be able to toe nail the flange of the metal bead.. If you crimp the metal bead tape the flange or it will edge crack.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Should I.... leave you two alone?
Phillips makes a Pf that's a frog's hair wider than USG S/W ...I still say N/C 4.50 Will cover and last. You wanna do It once ? OR twice? I can shut up at any time ..JMO.

·
Punching above his weight
10,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep talking, I love it.

Frame of reference, this is the post I'm wrapping:

To the left of the guy in white. The city feels that if a fire were to somehow start, on that concrete floor, and ignite that metal column, that it would somehow cause a structural failure in the balcony above it, which is the only thing the column is supporting. If that balcony were to become unstable, WE WILL ALL DIE.
Government, amirite?
So, two layers of 5/8 drywall on steel studs is going to prevent that. It doesn't have to look good. It just has to have one layer of mud on it.
Also, I don't want it to take very long. I have other, even stupider projects to attend to.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Keep talking, I love it.

Frame of reference, this is the post I'm wrapping:

To the left of the guy in white. The city feels that if a fire were to somehow start, on that concrete floor, and ignite that metal column, that it would somehow cause a structural failure in the balcony above it, which is the only thing the column is supporting. If that balcony were to become unstable, WE WILL ALL DIE.
Government, amirite?
So, two layers of 5/8 drywall on steel studs is going to prevent that. It doesn't have to look good. It just has to have one layer of mud on it.
Also, I don't want it to take very long. I have other, even stupider projects to attend to.
What's code for the stairs!!!! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts