Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have experience with installing cork? How about durability of cork? There are some really interesting colors and patterns, but it seems it can't be as durable as hardwood, but I've been told otherwise.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Cork is great. This is my favorite product http://www.naturalcork.com/
They have always used it in high end yachts. Properly installed and finished, it should last around 30-40 yrs. This is one of the few places that I use poly varnishes. I like the patina that old varnish gives to woods but the cork patterns are just too pretty.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
There are the tiles and the floating cork panels.
The floating cork is more warm and comfy and easier to lay. It will cost more too.
Hardwood is more scratch resistant by a small margin, but the cork is more resilient.

The library of congress has had it for over 100 years.

yes, natural cork is my fav too.

there is also Parador, and Nova

·
Registered
163 Posts
A good example of the resiliency of cork, open a bottle of wine. That cork has been in the botlle for maybe years, but after a few minutes you need to force the cork back in the bottle because it has gone back to it's origonal size.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don Benham said:
A good example of the resiliency of cork, open a bottle of wine. That cork has been in the botlle for maybe years, but after a few minutes you need to force the cork back in the bottle because it has gone back to it's origonal size.

Don
I took a look at http://www.benhamflooring.com website....and it was interesting. Especially the Resilient flooring pics in the gallery. You may want to put the "after" pic into the gallery, though (LOL) . The flow demonstrates the old floor, the in-process floor,....then the old floor again! I got a kick out of that (sorry). From the web page - "The result is a beautiful new floor that will provide years of service." -- and the old floor is shown :Thumbs:

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
I did our daughters room in cork. I used a roll of 8mm sound proofing cork. Glued it down with Bostiks best then well acid washed it and then sealed it with polyurethene ( how ever you spell it). It has been down for about 3 years now looks really cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts