Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Corinthian Granite Fireplace

7519 Views 37 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Fancis Casini
We seem to be on a roll using the Corinthian Granite.

This is a smaller fireplace we completed a few months back.... Roughly 7.5 ft wide at the base and around 6 ft high at the mantel.

Fireplace Hearth Property Wall Room
Reactions: Fundi and brickhook
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
That is really nice looking work.
Don't see too many wood burners out here.
Reactions: bytor
Beautiful work......some nice jointing
Typical Bytor fashion,...it's a beauty!
Reactions: jomama and bytor
A couple of questions....how much did that hearth piece weigh? Is the mantle shelf counter balanced in some way?
Always taken back by your skill and craftsmanship Bytor.

Great work man!!!:thumbsup:
That is an odd sized firebrick, what are the dimensions?
always a fan of Corinthian. it was popular for a while here has died down a bit due to the price per ton.
I would estimate the hearth slab weighs around 1000-1100 lbs (7.5 ft x 1.75 ft x .5 ft x 160 lbs/cubic ft. ... ish)

Mantel slab extends back under the metal studs and MDF paneling i.e. it is actually deeper than it looks... counter-balances itself
A couple of questions....how much did that hearth piece weigh? Is the mantle shelf counter balanced in some way?
Definitely a team effort.
Thank you.
Always taken back by your skill and craftsmanship Bytor.

Great work man!!!:thumbsup:
Reactions: CrpntrFrk
A trick of the photography perhaps?
These are standard (in our area at least) 2.5" x "4.5" x 9" brick.... of course in reality they are only about 2.25".
That is an odd sized firebrick, what are the dimensions?
Surprisingly, the Corinthian is pretty comparable to our local granite despite the additional shipping costs.
always a fan of Corinthian. it was popular for a while here has died down a bit due to the price per ton.
@TScarborough

Here's another shot showing the firebox nearing completion. Might give a better idea of the firebrick sizing.

Attachments

I love looking at pictures of your work....absolutely beautiful fireplace! :thumbsup:
Yeah it is an optical delusion, they look skinnier in the first picture, but the last one shows them to be normal firebrick.
Is it my imagination or do the sides slant? I like it if it does.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.