Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen two different nailers on this old house recently. One seemed like it was spring loaded where it took a few seconds to Shoot when you pulled the trigger. The other was batter operated and had a built in compressor that recharged after each nail shot.

I know this slows down production but I don't really want to buy a nailer, compressor, hoses etc... I'd prefer to buy the nailer and sell it on ebay when I am done :)

Rich, maybe you can do a review of cordless nailers on your website ;)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Is this just for your personal use? All the manufacturers sell a combo kit with a small compressor, hose and a nail gun together, really cheap and perfect for handyman use but not for production. They are oil-less, great for just a single man use.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Porter cable has a pretty good combo kit. One for framing at about 500 and a finish nailer kit at around 200. Paslode has a pretty good airless framing nailer for around 360. I'll give Paslode a call and see if they'll send me one to review.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Yep, the Porter Cable kit is the one I have. The thing works so damn well that I haven't gotten around to purchasing a "real" compressor. It comes with a Porter Cable 2 HP, 6 gallon pancake oil free air compressor. For some reason all my guns are Porter Cable too, even when I set out to purchase a different brand I end up coming home with another Porter Cable for some reason. I was totally set on a Hitachi framer and when all was said and done I ended up with another Porter Cable gun!

I have ended up using that stupid little compressor for way too many things, I blow dust with it, I've blown out sprinklers , I have even run an impact wrench on it. As long as you don't mind it cycling after about every 10-30 nails it might be right for you.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Go to the pawn shop Grump, you could pick the set up, use it, then take it back and get almost what you paid for it.

New tools are nice, but a good used one can do the trick. Plus you can buy more tools, drink more beer and keep your child support paid that way.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I'm just gonna hand nail what I need to do like the old timers did before pneumatic nailers. I'm just framing a partition wall 30" long and a soffit 8' long. Nothing major.

I saw a passload cordless framing nailer but I decided against it because of the cost ($379).

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Any luck with a cordless nailer for production work?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Any luck with a cordless nailer for production work?
No. Well I do not know your definition of production, but they have never fit the bill for me. I first saw the Paslode cordless framing nailers in the mid/early 80's-ish. If I recall they were black. Rep left two on the job for us to "put it through it's paces". Well after waiting for the t POS to cycle we gave up on it fairly quickly. Now, for pick up work they do have their place. I wouldn't call the new ones production guns but a one man operation can save considerable time by noy having to fool with a compressor & hoses. There's a framer or two on this board that have 1 or 2 of them.:notworthy:notworthy

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
Griz yes they used to be heavy ass blank slow clunky tools, i still have my black one sitting in the garage still works. But it has no comparison to the im90i it's damn near bump trigger quick, with out havin any misfire fuel issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts