Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been doing a lot of lead abatement vinyl insert windows lately.

In an effort to make the system more streamlined i have been going Cordless starting with the DeWalt 18ga trim gun. Then I stumbled on the fact that the DeWalt DC500 vacuum meets OSHA standards (it is cordless/corded) I have traded in my big slider miter for a Makita 0714 and most of the time i use a Festool Trion for cutting 1x trim stock picking up a cordless jigsaw for this. my entire window kit is 3 systainers and the 2 gal vac.

now here is my vision for a new tool.

• A small table saw designed to rip 1X and molding

• 8" rack and pinion rip fence / carry handle

• 10" tall 13" wide 18" long less then 20#

• Durable construction, bottom is enclosed, noting to snag

• 1 5/8 cap @ 90

• Use a standard 7 1/4" blade

• Riving knife

• The saw would be corded/cordless

• when cordless 36V running off twin 18 batteries

• The saw would have a dust collection bin that is easy to dump

• Clamping lugs to lock onto a table or horse

• Priced around $300 w/o batteries or charger
I realize that this is a rather specialized tool, but would anyone else be interested in something like this?

Craig

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Craig have you designed this and built a prototype or is this just a day dreaming thread?

I think it is a really neat idea and has good potential but I personally would not have a use for it at this point.

How about a Power-8? http://www.power8workshop.net/ :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sorry, see post down below

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like the idea. I don't know that I would have a use for it, but I'm sure others would. I don't really like the idea of toting it around by the fence, but I guess if it was light enough and built strong enough then it would be fine. I do really like the idea of getting 36v from two 18v batteries. Every cordless tool I own uses 18v, I wish a company would pick up this idea. Or maybe they already have and I just don't know it.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Cordless CTS- Don't see that many on the market-?

I don't know- i would worry about the batteries not holding up and having to constantly charge them , with ripping I would think you are putting a lot of current draw on the motor/batteries--constant. That is probably why you don't see to many of them out there on the market. Have you looked at Ridgid's portable CTS - or Dewalt- fold up and easy to transport- just my 2 cents:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
with ripping I would think you are putting a lot of current draw on the motor/batteries--constant.
That is a good point, however for ripping something light you don't need all that much power. My little dinky 18V Dewalt circular saw had enough power to rip up sheathing and cut 2xX boards..not the fastest in the world but as long as you cut dead-nuts straight it wasn't bad at all.

Craig, for the moulding table saw do you really need 36V worth of power? Why not take a 18V dewalt 6" (or whatever size thoes little saws are) circular saw, flip it upside down and screw a table top to it.

I think 18V would be adaquate for power for light rips and having the ability to put multiple 18V batteries in parallel (to achieve better battery life) would be even better.

Picture the table saw with 3x 18V battery recepticals, you could run the saw on 1, 2 or 3 batteries depending on the runtime you required...and you could swap batteries between the saw and your cordless nailer.

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
Makita used to have a cordless miter saw, don't think they make it anymore. The cordless part would be nice if there wan't any power but I would think there would be power most of the time if your replacing windows. I know dewalt makes a compact table saw http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 , seems like a nice little lightweight saw that would be easy to carry around. The only thing is it's not cordless.

The problem with using 2 batteries is the weaker one will always drain the stronger one down. Rechargable batteries are never charged equally. I have a diesel truck with dual batteries, you always replace both batteries when one dies. And you try to get 2 batteries that were made on the same day so they are as close to equal as possible.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The problem with using 2 batteries is the weaker one will always drain the stronger one down.
Excellent point Platinum, I guess if they were in series increasing the voltage you would run the risk of damaging a cell from over drawing, and in parallel they would be constantly trying to balance each-other out.

When I was younger I had 2 deep cycle marine batteries in my car for my sound system and a smaller one upfront that were not isolated in anyway. System worked just dandy and much to my surprise I never cooked one battery. (Although you could drive 5 hours without an alternator but that's another story)

·
Registered
492 Posts
What about downsizing the blade? Put in like a 4 inch or a similar size that would give you the 1 5/8" capacity. A smaller blade would put a lot less strain on the motor. I would imagine that Dewalt, Bosch or Makita could put together a 48V battery pack with their existing cells and come up with a pretty viable product.
I think you haven't seen anything like this on the market simply because the demand really isn't there. Dewalt came close with their smaller table saw, it wouldn't be much more of a stretch to make it cordless. Gotta have a titanium top though.:clap:

·
Registered
917 Posts
still waiting for someone to get one of those dewalt miter/table saws over to the US and let me try it out haha.

I have the compact table saw by dewalt, not cordless but its pretty light and durable.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, These are the ideas that I was looking for.

As far as battery life remember it is corded/cordless
Twin 18 V battery 36 V system. I am not too concerned about the battery paring isssue, it is not unlike the indivual cells in the battery in the first place. If the saw is to have a chance in the marketplace, guys in the feild have to say "man this SOB has power I ripped a 2x8" green treat and it didn't even bog down".

I envision a Tool that is portable enough that you grab it one handed and take it to the window or door to make the cut.

I agree that it does not need to be 7 1/4" blade but only need to rip the rare 2x

What i am having problems envisioning is the dust collection bin paired with a tilting arbor.

Itis my guess that if a tool manufacturer came out with one it would open a new market
Craig

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Yea, & also a 120V version. I couldn't find a video of the operation of the D27111 anywhere.
Steve

still waiting for someone to get one of those dewalt miter/table saws over to the US and let me try it out haha.

I have the compact table saw by dewalt, not cordless but its pretty light and durable.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
seems like I remember a little table saw on here, made for flooring...:rolleyes:

Cool idea though...

I used to have a very light little craftsman 8" table saw... You could carry it with one hand. I'd kick it all the way around the house....not cordless though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I know some people may have already seen this video but I think it might be appropriate for this thread. Its not the Dewalt saw but a similar Bosch. There is a website I found in the UK which does ship internationally and even lists the prices in dollars in case anyone is that interested in getting one. If I had the money to spend I would probably get one just for the other looks on everyone's face when I pulled it out on a job site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsAxlFjTecA

Reactions: stp57

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
Thanks, These are the ideas that I was looking for.

As far as battery life remember it is corded/cordless
Twin 18 V battery 36 V system. I am not too concerned about the battery paring isssue, it is not unlike the indivual cells in the battery in the first place. If the saw is to have a chance in the marketplace, guys in the feild have to say "man this SOB has power I ripped a 2x8" green treat and it didn't even bog down". Craig

The two 18 volt batteries will work together, but the isuue will be how strong and how long of a charge. The difference between using 2 battery packs and the individual cells inside is that the individual cells are all the same age and new when put in so they stay relatively the same as the other cells. When you use two 18 volt packs they are not in the same condition, one may have been charged more than they other or one may not hold a charge as long. The problem is that even just sitting idle the weaker battery pack will still drain the stronger pack down. There is a reason that none of the cordless manufacturers do this, they have 24 and 36 volt batteries when they could use 2 12 or 18 volts instead. They use the bigger packs because all the individual cells inside them are as close to equal threw out the life of the battery.

The idea of dual battery packs will work but it isn't optimal for powering a table saw and will lead to shorter life for the battery packs.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
platinumLLC
I agree there is the potential of abusing batteries. I think it could be dealt with by power management chip would show the condition of each battery and not let the saw run with a depleted battery.

I think that having the ability to stick your current batteries in the saw rather than having to buy into a new system would be a trade off that many would go for.

I realise that this is just dreaming but ...have a third party (freud, or really cool Sawstop) build the saw and allow battery inserts so you can use the saw with what ever system you own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts