Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Fugetaboutit
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me your thoughts:

My paslode framer is getting worn out. I'm tired of rebuilding it. (It doesn't owe me a dime)

Was thinking Dewalt or Hitachi

What's your thoughts:

Price or battery platform isn't an issue

Must be strong (has to be able to toe nail and drive nails all the way in)

Light is good, I'm no youngin no more.

Will buy or have multiple batteries, so battery life isn't too important

NOTE I bought a Dewalt framer years ago.. Gen1. Hated it, was weak. I can only assume the newer Dewalts are better.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,094 Posts
Must be strong (has to be able to toe nail and drive nails all the way in)

Light is good, I'm no youngin no more.
Don't think you're likely to get both of those in one package. Without some weight, the gun wants to bounce off the work surface too easily.

I have a perfectly good Paslode, but I don't do enough framing these days to bother with the batteries. I've gone back to pneumatic for the odd times I need to do some gunning.

Yeah, I ain't no young'un any more.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I own all the Dewalt 20volt nailers...

Get the Hitachi!! They are awesome. Recycled gas piston instead of flywheel.

My Dewalts are great, but Hitachi nailers are newer and better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Hitachi hands down, I don't care if it's heavy. Get it.

I was thinking of picking up a Hitachi 18v framer. Well I picked it up, then put it down. The thing weighs almost as much as my small compressor.
I'll stick with air...
They are heavy, but they do sink nails really well. I was able to demo one last year at a trade show and was impressed with the power. Unlike most here, I have had very good luck with my two Dewalt framers. Going on three years now and still performing well. They do however, lack power. For just studs and common lumber, they do just fine. Lvl and Timberstrand, and I will get the real guns out.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,113 Posts
Buy another paslode.

I was going to buy the DeWalt being as I'm balls deep in the 20V platform.

Mike convinced me the Paslode was well worth it. He was spot on. They are much better than the older ones were. My old man has the older version and his doesn't have near the balls or little things that make it so nice. It's also pretty light.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Buy another paslode.

I was going to buy the DeWalt being as I'm balls deep in the 20V platform.

Mike convinced me the Paslode was well worth it. He was spot on. They are much better than the older ones were. My old man has the older version and his doesn't have near the balls or little things that make it so nice. It's also pretty light.
Have they figured out how to keep the flashing led from wearing down the battery?

·
Artist and not a curator
10,113 Posts
Have they figured out how to keep the flashing led from wearing down the battery?
It's got two holes for the battery as you slide it in where it has a notch that clicks into place. One all the way and one half way, the half way is how you store it or it's not in use. Not sure how bad that was before but an LED that small seems like it would use very little power.

Anyhow, I framed an entire deck with just the Paslode and had no issues. I would maybe charge the battery once every two days but it never ran out of juice. I'd either put it on while at lunch or first thing and I had other stuff to do like layout or cuts, etc.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
It's got two holes for the battery as you slide it in where it has a notch that clicks into place. One all the way and one half way, the half way is how you store it or it's not in use. Not sure how bad that was before but an LED that small seems like it would use very little power.

Anyhow, I framed an entire deck with just the Paslode and had no issues. I would maybe charge the battery once every two days but it never ran out of juice. I'd either put it on while at lunch or first thing and I had other stuff to do like layout or cuts, etc.
It would run the battery dead over night and before the end of the day if you left it in all day. I think the circuitry that commanded the flash is what eats the power. I had to pull it slightly out from the contacts so i wouldn’t run out of juice before the end of the day. I can’t tell you how many times the battery went slamming to the floor because I forgot to lock it back in before picking it up. I was getting no where’s near 1000 nails out of a framing cartridge and maybe 100-150 out of the finish cartridges.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,113 Posts
It would run the battery dead over night and before the end of the day if you left it in all day. I think the circuitry that commanded the flash is what eats the power. I had to pull it slightly out from the contacts so i wouldn’t run out of juice before the end of the day. I can’t tell you how many times the battery went slamming to the floor because I forgot to lock it back in before picking it up. I was getting no where’s near 1000 nails out of a framing cartridge and maybe 100-150 out of the finish cartridges.
I gotcha now.

Yeah so, the way it's pulled partially out still needs to be done but the battery has a notch that keeps it from falling out. I probably tried to shoot it multiple times without the battery fully engaged and would just push it up, never falls out. I shot probably 2500 or so nails through it and used 2 cartridges. I don't frame except for when I do decks and it seems perfect for that.

Even if I still framed houses I would think about using it instead of an air gun. I would probably get a second battery but other than that I think it would easily keep up with a pneumatic gun. It's got plenty of balls and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. I also like the nose on it for toe nailing, it's got a nice angled tooth on it. For what it's worth I only had one nail jamb and it was my fault. I cleaned and oiled the cylinder after I finished with it so it's good to go next time.

Seems like they have it completely figured out now. I was really impressed with it.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
I gotcha now.

Yeah so, the way it's pulled partially out still needs to be done but the battery has a notch that keeps it from falling out. I probably tried to shoot it multiple times without the battery fully engaged and would just push it up, never falls out. I shot probably 2500 or so nails through it and used 2 cartridges. I don't frame except for when I do decks and it seems perfect for that.

Even if I still framed houses I would think about using it instead of an air gun. I would probably get a second battery but other than that I think it would easily keep up with a pneumatic gun. It's got plenty of balls and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. I also like the nose on it for toe nailing, it's got a nice angled tooth on it. For what it's worth I only had one nail jamb and it was my fault. I cleaned and oiled the cylinder after I finished with it so it's good to go next time.

Seems like they have it completely figured out now. I was really impressed with it.

I don’t think they have bump fire either. No way you going to sheet as fast as pneumatic (or even a 18V Hitachi) with the paslode.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have a look at the Hilti framing guns they are bigger/heavier than the paslodes but sink nails really well - had mine for a while and it's been pretty reliable (new gasless DeWalt finisher has been a PITA), have to get a bit creative in tight areas compared to the paslodes.

Reviews I've seen and comments above all seem to rave about the Hitachi, If I had to buy one tomorrow that's what i would get

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
when it comes to nail guns, the answer is always Hitatchi. i was using a 25 year old hitatchi coil framer yesterday that still works better than the newer ones i have

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I just picked up the Hitachi for the light framing I do. I'll be climbing around trusses Tuesday and not having a hose will be great. It is definitely heavy especially since I use an NR90, but it sinks great, is plenty fast, and never has any temperature or gas issues.

I would consider giving Passlode another try just for the weight, but I'm having a hard time getting over the problems of my previous one. Then again, I also had a previous Hitachi cordless and it was terrible too.

·
GC/carpenter
40,543 Posts
We've been using the Paslode as a daily driver and it's been flawless. It's extremely light and if it weren't for the depth adjuster it would sink them too deep.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
anyone old enough to remember the original paslode cordless gun?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts