Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys, its time for me to buy a new drill. I don't really use it that much, just for small stuff generally like taking hardware off doors, or window treatments, but it still needs to be powerful enough to mix mud and adhesives. At least 18v.

My last 2 have been Craftsmen, and I guess I got my $120 back out of them, but they seem to die in a year. My current one came with 2 battery packs, one is already shot, and it would cost about $70 to replace. The other only holds a charge for a short time. If I'm running my paste machine for a couple days, I need to mix glue 2-3 times a day. This thing just doesn't have the stones to do it maybe once or twice a day then I'm recharging.

What are your reccomendations. What brands or models do you prefer and why. At this point, cost doesn't matter, as long as I don't have to replace it again in a year. And how about those ones that come with the chargwe and a built in jobsite radio? Look pretty cool, but do they work?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
My personal opinion is the Dewalt 18v. Packs plenty of power - the batteries have good life on them too. I've had mine for about 4 years now and batteries are just noticing a decline in life (put many metal roofs up with this thing). Make sure it comes with the xr (I think) batteries - a friend has those and they last quite a bit longer from what he tells me.
Dewalt also has the radio as a seperate purchase that does charge the batteries and can run off the batteries if need be. The one's I've seen have worked excellent. Don't buy the Jeep one - broke it in a matter of days. And the "tire tread" is plastic .. grrr. haha.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Yep.. xrp. Drill driver is just a screw gun - the hammer drill is like a roto hammer for drilling into masonry or concrete. Some of the drills have a hammer drill setting. It's pretty handy feature if you're in a pinch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the DeWalt XRP 18volt on eBay brand new for a good price - I highly recommend it. I also own Makita, Craftsman and Ryobi. I do NOT recommend Ryobi, even for the average homeowner - what a piece of junk.

The key to the Dewalt is the ratcheting chuck - works great on very small drill bits.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dewalt, yes good stuff. How about the millwakee they seem pretty good too.

I still have my Portor Cable 12 vt that still has som balls to it

bernie

·
Registered
64 Posts
All we have id DeWalt...... my shop is dotted with yellow. I have a couple 12v drills for installing blinds and everything else around the store and they are tough, batteries last a long time too. Blue power tools bite !!! LOL

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I stiil use a 20 yr. old Makita 6V around the house, it began life on the jobsite. About 6 yrs. ago I got a deal on 12V Makita's and bought 5, I kept one, used daily, and sold the rest to my guys at cost. They are all still in the field. The only other brand that I see is DeWalt in 18V, everybody seems to love them. I'll check them out when the Makita dies, we'll probably be up to 64V by then.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Prowall I went with the XRP, but mine is the 14.4V. I have enough weight in my tools bags, I didn't want to lug around the 18v. My 14.4 DeWalt holds up to all sorts of abuse. Have had it about almost 2 years now. Guys with 18v that arn't XRP, don't seem to have the same power as mine. The batteries last all day unless, your screwing into 16 ga steel. Then you have to change. Only replaced 1 battery on it, but that's because someone got sticky fingered.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The latest edition of Consumer Reports has more than enough info on cordless drills. #1? Panasonic! Go figure, I've never even seen one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have, and I wouldn't even waste the time or money. 1 of my old partners uses one. And an outfit out here uses them exclusively, they furnish these for their framers. The one they gave me stayed in the box.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They do last a long time ProWall, I'll give them that, but from what I've experienced with them, they just don't have the power and the battery stamina as my DeWalt. They are great if you are using a light gauge steel, but once you start getting into 16 ga metal, they are no worth the hassel. But for a home project kind of tool, I guess they could satisfy someones needs.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts