Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not a roofing contractor but a old tinner (15 yr +) who now runs & maintains 20000 tons of chiller equipment for the university of Iowa.

With a 10' sheetmetal brake, slitter in the garage, soldering equipment, & NRCA metal roofing manual memorized, I planned on bending & installing my own 2400 square foot copper roof & gutters on my 70's home. I have a supplier who will sell me copper for $1.59 per lb. But now Im getting cold feet since I have never done a metal roof. Only duct work. And am wondering if home resale may be difficult because of the green stains copper is known for. Dissimalar metals is also a consern with metal flues touching the copper.

Can anyone recommend a copper roofer around the Iowa City Iowa area who I could hire to get me started & a consultant? Or should I go with shingles & sell the sheet metal equipment?

Thanks before hand

Mike Kolder

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Also buy the SMACNA manual.

You can buy preformed copper panels if your fear is the bends.

You can start on a porch or bay window roof or some small area of the house and see how it turns out before you take on the large areas.

Many people like those green stains. I know I do. But the copper will kill vegitation around the house. Be aware of that. As far as resale goes, can you make back your investment when you sell the home? Copper is expensive and you might be throwing money away if you plan to sell any time soon.

To solve the problem of dis-similiar metals place and Ie and Water Shield barrier between the two metals. You definetly do not want them touching. You may also cinsider some kind of vinyl boot.

I don't know what your house looks like but not all hosues look good with metal roofs. It's an architectural style not fit for every home.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with Grumpy except do not use a rubberized-asphalt underlayment to seperate the dissimilar metals. Use a Butyl based one like Grace Ultra. I think Carlisle has a Butyl too. Their expensive, but no chance of the Ice & Water's asphalt melting out. Copper's green patina takes a while to come out. Bronze and dark brown first. You'll see it first at any solders...gutters, downspouts, etc.
Jim

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I didn't check the date when I started reading. I was thinking of finding his supplier buying 100,000 pounds bringing it to a scrap yard, triple my money and take a year off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts