Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it any one cope crown at 135 degree corners. Of course if you cope crown at such corners you can cope everything else? I’m not capable do it with jig saw, need to much of back cut. Maybe would be possible with grinder?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Of course it will cope. The mistake that a lot of people make is not keeping the cope blade parallel to the ceiling when cutting. The result is the at areas that approach level, there's material left in the way of a tight fit. A lot of people exagerate the back cut angle when it's not the real problem.
Hope this makes sense.
Joe

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have coped crown for a 135 corner. The thing we found to make it easier is cut your first piece to fit against the wall then 45 it like you're going to miter but leave about a 1/4" of your first cut on the piece.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have coped crown for a 135 corner. The thing we found to make it easier is cut your first piece to fit against the wall then 45 it like you're going to miter but leave about a 1/4" of your first cut on the piece.
I've done the same, but it's 22.5 deg relief, not 45.;)

The only downside to this method is you can't pin the two pieces together.

Joe

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Anything can be coped, but I wouldn't do it. Just miter both pieces at 22.5 degrees, glue it and you will have a better corner in this case.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
yup, inside 45's are my bug bear. I now just miter them, as coping takes way too long and the results are not pretty.

It's the one area that slows me down, getting the length right is a little bit time consuming. Not a lot, but it's a pain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cope them just like I would do base or anything else. Yes, the back cut is a little harder, but doable with a longer jig saw blade. I also use the Collin's base and jig, that helps too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts