Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is everyones preferred choice of coolers for the jobsite... we go through a couple cases of water a day when its hot and I get tired of making daily trips to town for ice... any recommendations on coolers with decent ice retention and durability that don't cost a fortune?

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
Yeti. I had a sixty five quart for 3 years. Awesome cooler, held Ice for days in 105 heat.

Some POS cut the lock and stole it out of my truck though. If I buy another it will stay in the trailer.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use a cheap Coleman cooler, I freeze a bunch of water bottles then throw them in with the drinks. The performance of the cooler is only as good as the assholes that don't close it. :laughing:

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I use an Igloo Maxcold 100 quart cooler, but I have no idea how long it will keep ice, I have an ice machine in my garage and refill it every day.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I use a soft sided bag for my lunch with an ice pack. I take a water bottle that gets refilled during the day. I have a 5 gallon water cooler for outside jobs where the clients don't want us inside which is fairly rare.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a 50 qt yeti that I keep in my van all the time. It will hold ice for 4 or 5 days in 90 degrees.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Our lumber yard has an ice machine and it's free so I'll fill it /top it off once or twice a week.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
does he yeti still hold ice well if its opened and closed a lot during the day?
Obviously not as long, but a few days, yes.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I find that the ice lasts longer when you have the ability to drain the water out. I retro-fitted a hose on the drain plug on my cooler and then I drilled a hole through the floor in my van to let it drain out gradually throughout the day.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I looked into coolers for a few weeks before I bought mine. It was a shoot out between the yeti and the pelican elite. The elite was pretty new at the time but the few reviews I read said it was a better cooler than the yeti. It holds ice for a serious amount of time but they ain't cheap. I have the 65qt but they make about 10 different sizes.

My festool cooler is working great. I can get 12beers and ice packs and it will stay cool the whole day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had about 300 in capital one cash back and found a place that will give you a 20% discount so I ordered the yeti 65. Holds ice longer than any other cooler I have owned. I have roughly cut my ice cost in half, so I am pleased. I almost bought the orca due to the lifetime warranty, but the discount plus the dry goods basket pushed me to order the yeti. Pm me if you would like the companies name o where I purchased it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Just use a little igloo cooler. Enough for 6 cans and two sandwiches.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts