Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets share some tips...

One thing I do when sheeting a hip roof I punch in 4' diag 10"pitch (or whatever pitch you are using) then hit the hip key.... I use the measurement that it spits out and cut a 2x4 that length for the cutman to use. Then all he needs is the bottom (long point) measure and he can take the 2x4 and swing it until the length flushes on each edge of the ply... mark it .. and cut it. No chalk box needed. (I hate waiting for somebody to fumble around with a chalk box!) That way most any guy no matter what skill level can cut plywood on a hip roof with only one measurement.

If it is an irregular hip you can do the function for both pitches and have two different sticks handy for the cutman (make sure they are CLEARLY LABELED!)

Idiot proof unless your hip is wrong :w00t:

I will also use it to plumb two story walls (using the height of the wall as rise and picking a spot as a run measurement

Lets hear some cool stuff!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
There are many. One of the easiest and fastest is finding the radius of an arch. When you have the width and the height. Using a 6' width and a 8" height for example.

6 [Feet] [Run]

8[Inch] [Rise]

[Conv] [Diag] = 85" (Radius)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hey cbfx3,

I was wondering what your input sequence is for the irregulars. I usually find the adjacent roofs run to the [Rise]of the other planes 4' diagonal , and use the 4’ dim as a right angled leg and press diag for the hip line length. I like to know my dif in length as well as the hip line length. Once I have a pattern cut I can use it to perform other tricks, such as marking pieces longer than 8’ by extending the pattern to the length (i.e. 9’ 6”) and marking. Gives you both pieces, hip fillers, at the same time.

Another irregular hip trick is to find the hip’s plate line layout for a proportionally placed hip (unbacked). Enter the two pitches as Rise and Run, [Stor] the new pitch, enter the hip’s thickness as the new diagonal, press Rise and Run to get the scaled down layout dims that are pulled off the corners to locate the square cut HAP(s) of the irregular hip. The greater solved dim is always applied to the plate line of the lesser pitch, (usually the Major pitch, containing the ridge). This info is useful for calcing the irregular jacks using plan view proportions of the layout dims.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
There are many. One of the easiest and fastest is finding the radius of an arch. When you have the width and the height. Using a 6' width and a 8" height for example.

6 [Feet] [Run]

8[Inch] [Rise]

[Conv] [Diag] = 85" (Radius)
Hey Joe, which version do you have, the Trig one? All of the ones I have, the 4/5/and Pro, they are all

[Conv] [Arc]

to get the radius.

cbfx, I do the same. I used to subtract the [Rise] from the length measured, then use a 6' level. Pounded thumb here figured it out after a few homes.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hey cbfx3,

I was wondering what your input sequence is for the irregulars. I usually find the adjacent roofs run to the [Rise]of the other planes 4' diagonal , and use the 4’ dim as a right angled leg and press diag for the hip line length. ]

Richard,

For irregulars using a 8/12 and 10/12 combination to get the diagonal/hip length.

8 [Inch] [Pitch]

4 [Feet] [Diag]

10 [Inch] [Conv] [Hip/val/] [Hip/val] = 4' 9-11/16" (Diagonal measurement)

8/12 and 10/12 combination to get the bottom measurement from corner.

8 [Inch] [Pit]

4 [Feet] [Diag]

[Run] [x] 8/10 = 2'7-15/16" (Bottom measurement from corner)

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have to admit this is one of my weeknesses that I have is the construction master. I am not good at math at all. Just didn't have the chance to ever catch up on it.
Thanks for these partical examples.

Cole

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hey Joe, which version do you have, the Trig one? All of the ones I have, the 4/5/and Pro, they are all

[Conv] [Arc]

to get the radius.

I have these calculators and the CM Pro has the same steps all using [Conv] [Diag/Radius]

CM Trig 44060 (Desktop)

CM Trig 4075

CM Pro 4060

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to admit this is one of my weeknesses that I have is the construction master. I am not good at math at all. Just didn't have the chance to ever catch up on it.
Thanks for these partical examples.

Cole

I was record setting bad in math back in the day. It is the practical stuff that matters!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I use the hip measure (4'9"11/16 in this picture) and cut a 2x4 this length for cutman to use.
You can use a piece of 5/4 x 3 and tack a nail at center of each end at 4' 9-11/16" and just use that as your pattern because the nails will line you up perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was record setting bad in math back in the day. It is the practical stuff that matters!
Same here math was always my worst subject in school I never really tried because I flat out hated it,luckily for us most roofs we face can easily be solved with basic geometry and arithmetic.

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Just ordered the Construction Master Pro 4065 getting it tomorrow !!! I hope this thing is as good as it says. I hope more people post in this thread. I'm always looking for ways to speed things up a bit and be more accurate at the same time.

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Well it's been over a year since I made that post above & boy do I highly recommend this to any carpenter. I dropped my first one three stories onto a concrete pad. I thought it was broken & bought a new one. I opened it up and was able to fix it with a piece of scotch tape. I keep one in my tool pouch now. :clap:

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
I'd like to resurrect this thread now that we have apps for our phones & may have some more options.

For sheathing a hip/valley, my buildcalc app spits out a sheathing angle. I use this to layout on a sheet & use the stick & nail trick mentioned above.

Example using a 10/12:

10" [pitch]
Sheathing angle: 52.47°
[clear]
52.47 [pitch]
4' [rise]
[diag] = 6' 6-13/16"

This is the spacing between the two nails (make sure both nails are centered on board)

I'll also use the [rise] function to get 5' 2-1/2" and have the cut guy mark one corner & measure back that amount for the other point.

For laying out a hip/valley for framing jack rafters:

Example using a 10/12 with 16" on center spacing:

10" [pitch]
[hip/v]
[clear]
52.47 [pitch]
16" [run]
[diag] = 26-1/4"

This is the on center spacing between jack rafters. To quickly layout, type 26-1/4" + 26-1/4" and then hit the equal sign for each consecutive measurement (instead of having to type 26-1/4" + x for each measurement)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd like to resurrect this thread now that we have apps for our phones & may have some more options.

For sheathing a hip/valley, my buildcalc app spits out a sheathing angle. I use this to layout on a sheet & use the stick & nail trick mentioned above.

Example using a 10/12:

10" [pitch]
[clear]
52.47 [pitch]
4' [run]
[diag] = 6' 6-13/16"

This is the spacing between the two nails (make sure both nails are centered on board)
I'm coming up with 5' 1/2" for the angle @ 37.5°

I'd do

10" pitch
4' diag
Hip/val
= 5' 1/2"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts