Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
That looks good too, but I`d prefer real stone... Say Mr. Paperhanger, does Wallpaperjobs pay better than paint? I almost prefer haenging Wallpaper, you got to fight with the glue but only have to do it once.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my case, paper pays better than paint, but probably only because I specialize in wallpaper, and we are sought after by many local decorators, builders, architects, etc. We make good money painting too, but its like comparing apples and oranges, both are good, but in different ways.

Being a member of the National Guild of Professional Paperhangers has helped me to land some very lucrative jobs.

Remember though, you screw up with paint, you can repaint it. You screw up with paper, especially high-end goods, or custom printed material, and you bought it. The cost liability is huge on a custom printed mural project, thus we charge big for them. I apparently love the stress this job comes with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea how do you charge?
You are right, it is hard to almost imposible to fix wallpaper once you messed up. I have done a lot of wallpaper haenging in germany and have not done it for years, sort of miss the changes and "risks" that come with it. Me personaly would only paint my house, those little fingerprints... and my little angel just tor a pice of the border in her room :confused:
In Germany it is popular to put up plain wallpaper (with those woodchips in it, we call it "rauhfaser") and then paint on top of that. I have not seen it here in the states, do you use them here too?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charge by my mood?? I kinda like that.

I actually do adjust my prices when preparing a proposal, to fit the customer. If they are very picky, or one I assume will NEVER be happy with anything anybody does, a nuisance fee is tacked on the bid. I know I will be there longer than average making everything 'just so', so I bill for it ahead of time. And if its a real ugly job, or the customer has a real bad attitude problem, they get blasted by my proposal. I don't want that job in the first place, and if its accepted, I make enough $$$ to justify the nightmare I'm jumping into.

Generally speaking, I charge by the job. The customer doesn't pay per roll, per gallon, or per room, they pay me what I feel I'm worth and for my expertise in completing the job to their high standards. So it is a job to job difference in bidding. I do look at the #of rolls, gallons, manhours, etc. when I'm preparing a proposal, but just to double check my numbers, using historical productivity records.

Does this make any sense?

·
Registered
18 Posts
charge by the mood

I have been know to re-think my prices when I get the homeowner from (BLANK) But actually I adjust my prices by what bills are due at the time. :Thumbs:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Looks good. I have discovered recently the affordability of substituting wall paper for faux finishing if the client has champaign dreams but a beer budget. Some of these new faux patterns look just like paint at a serious discount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts