Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking forward to this interview. i need money, dont we all lol. and after doing landscaping for a few weeks i already miss it carpentry. i like working for this guy but its just not my trade. i had my tool belt on framing a 2nd bathroom in my house the other day, that felt good. i like my toolbelt. from what he's told me he has two "good sized" additions, one starting october, the other im not sure possibly before that and an entire window and door job. so yeah...this is good news to me. my other boss is still just about dead, i talked to one of the guys there, they're only doing about 2 or 3 days a week.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
looking forward to this interview. i need money, dont we all lol. and after doing landscaping for a few weeks i already miss it carpentry. i like working for this guy but its just not my trade. i had my tool belt on framing a 2nd bathroom in my house the other day, that felt good. i like my toolbelt. from what he's told me he has two "good sized" additions, one starting october, the other im not sure possibly before that and an entire window and door job. so yeah...this is good news to me. my other boss is still just about dead, i talked to one of the guys there, they're only doing about 2 or 3 days a week.
What happened to the flippers?

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i emailed her asking about liability and work mans comp she never replied. im guessing i scared her off, i would bet she thinks i was just looking to scam someone for insurance money. i'd rather scare her off then take a chance, get hurt, then be out of work and really be screwed.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
This is probably better all around for you anyway.

It was fun to ponder your predicament with the flippers anyway. :laughing:

I hope this works out for ya :thumbsup:

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got back from the meeting with that builder. everythings good, i'll be starting anywhere between now and the first monday of october (when the addition is going to start) so im pretty happy about that.

·
Super Moderator
10,597 Posts
So now you just have to wait for a month? If this new builder is such a hot prospect, why will it take him a month (probably more) to have work for you? Surely he has some other projects in different stages of completion. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I have been around, and seen a lot, and this sounds like a far cry from a sure thing.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So now you just have to wait for a month? If this new builder is such a hot prospect, why will it take him a month (probably more) to have work for you? Surely he has some other projects in different stages of completion. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I have been around, and seen a lot, and this sounds like a far cry from a sure thing.
:whistling

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I'm with Warren on this. Not that it isn't a good thing to be thinking ahead, but as the old saying goes, "don't quit your day job"

Since you don't exactly have a day job you better keep the October as an option, but I would keep looking to be on the safe side.

We have all been promised work that never showed up and if we sat waiting for it we would all starve.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with Warren on this. Not that it isn't a good thing to be thinking ahead, but as the old saying goes, "don't quit your day job"

Since you don't exactly have a day job you better keep the October as an option, but I would keep looking to be on the safe side.

We have all been promised work that never showed up and if we sat waiting for it we would all starve.
yeah i know where you're coming from its happened to me before, but i made sure he was definitely going to be hiring me. when i first contacted him he told me he didnt have much right now but did in october as a definite, and probably has stuff before then but the real work starts october. i'm still landscaping to make ends meet. he drove quit a ways out of his way to come meet me today, i dont think he would be b/sing me but who knows what can happen.

·
ampman
783 Posts
good luck

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
yeah i know where you're coming from its happened to me before, but i made sure he was definitely going to be hiring me. when i first contacted him he told me he didnt have much right now but did in october as a definite, and probably has stuff before then but the real work starts october. i'm still landscaping to make ends meet. he drove quit a ways out of his way to come meet me today, i dont think he would be b/sing me but who knows what can happen.

Just pretend you never had the meeting, keep looking for work. If he comes through, great...I promise you, if you stay in the business for any length of time, you'll see this scenario played out time and time again, with the end result being a no go.

Keep looking.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Just pretend you never had the meeting, keep looking for work. If he comes through, great...I promise you, if you stay in the business for any length of time, you'll see this scenario played out time and time again, with the end result being a no go.

Keep looking.

What he said ^^^^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts