Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Holy cow! That top one is awesome!
Bass, how old are these houses? I always marvel at how they, the old time carpenters, did it w/o power tools, CAD programs and the like! :clap:

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I did not know those were called corbels.

They are really cool. I like to drive Toledo's historic districts and check out the old craftmanship. I am amazed at the skill and love those old timers put into their work.

Sadly most of those areas have been taken over by welfare, degenerate, sapsuckers who have destroyed those neighborhoods.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy cow! That top one is awesome!
Bass, how old are these houses? I always marvel at how they, the old time carpenters, did it w/o power tools, CAD programs and the like! :clap:
Those are late 1800's buildings. I've been thinking of how I would build those... using about every power tool I own... and it would still be a challenge.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
They could do it without any porblems using their hand tools. Usually it took 3-5 years to complete a home. The reasons we can't do it is we are expected to complete a home in 3-8 months.

Nice looking stuff Bass

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not know those were called corbels.

They are really cool. I like to drive Toledo's historic districts and check out the old craftmanship. I am amazed at the skill and love those old timers put into their work.

Sadly most of those areas have been taken over by welfare, degenerate, sapsuckers who have destroyed those neighborhoods.
Corbels are supports that look like they are carved out of a single, solid piece of stock. The top photo may be more accurately described as a bracket, which has vertical and horizontal elements connected by a diagonal brace. When the space in the middle of the bracket is filled in... they look more "corbelish.":jester:

Here is a pic of three stacked brackets:

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They could do it without any porblems using their hand tools. Usually it took 3-5 years to complete a home. The reasons we can't do it is we are expected to complete a home in 3-8 months.

Nice looking stuff Bass
Good point Leo. The guy I learned under started with a hand saw miterbox and hand nailing hardwood trim after drilling pilots with a yankee... he said he didn't make any more money with power tools... just had to work faster.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
356 Posts
I don't know about the top one... Looks like new vinyl siding and the Corbel seems to be too new and possibly made of some type of synthetic rubber. OR they got a lot of cash and had the Corbel made with a CNC as most corbels are made nowadays.

I've installed a lot of arched windows and the inside trim is always a synthetic bendable single piece. Just heat it a bit nail it caulk it and it's done!

If that corbel in the first picture is wood and hand crafted... I agree HOLY COW!

MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Banned
356 Posts
just heat ,nail and caulk huh?wow nice:blink:
Hey, when I worked for someone else... I had to do it their way!

If the boss would've let me make custom trim (By the hour) I'd rather have made it from scratch out of wood.
With the right tools you can do anything... It's just wood... You mess it up and grab another peice.

MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know about the top one... Looks like new vinyl siding and the Corbel seems to be too new and possibly made of some type of synthetic rubber. OR they got a lot of cash and had the Corbel made with a CNC as most corbels are made nowadays.

I've installed a lot of arched windows and the inside trim is always a synthetic bendable single piece. Just heat it a bit nail it caulk it and it's done!

If that corbel in the first picture is wood and hand crafted... I agree HOLY COW!

MZ-HANDYMAN
I assure you, it is an old wood corbel. The vinyl was added later.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The house I'm working on is getting a new porch with pergola and will need new corbels used kinda like up-easings. I attempted a prototype this afternoon... looks like I need to work on the hand carved part, but I did get an order from the HO for 8 of them. Nice to get some shop time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Did you do a template, take a picture, or just wing it? They both look good. Looks like the orig is a bit more stretched out.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you do a template, take a picture, or just wing it? They both look good. Looks like the orig is a bit more stretched out.
I made a template, but it was of a different corbel (there are about a dozen of them)... they do vary some. I notice that the cut by the oval (representing a curled up leaf) is deeper on this one too. I'll dial in the details more before I make the copies.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts