Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few pics in another thread of the start of this project, but after talking to Chris Wright, it seems like this might be interesting enough to have it's own thread.

Basically, we currently live in a split-level house with approximately 1,500 square feet of living space, and are adding on another 950+. All of our living area is on the top floor, kitchen, dining room, living room, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. The lower level floor (walk-out) has a laundry area, bathroom and a large "entertainment room".

Having to move a mother-in-law in due to some physical health problems (knees), we were kind of forced into creating an in-law suite and figured, what the F, why not add on for us as well?

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is during/after demo. We had a small deck off the 2nd floor that was barely held on and a concrete patio under that which was all cracked and breaking apart.

Left the deck posts in so the excavator could grip onto something to pull them out.

Attachments

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a slump footing detail. It is a bearing point for the floor system of the addition. It's a little deceiving the depth, but it ends up being about 24" below the finished height of the slab. The orange designates where a rebar web was built at the direct bearing points.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
O. this is going to be so much fun. You've got some kohonies posting this here, I'll give you that. :laughing:

First thing - where's the safety fencing? Can someone call the safety guy.

All in good fun, hope the mother in law don't make you crazy. Make sure you install a lock on her door keyed from your side.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The night before the footers were to be poured, we got a ton of rain which wreaked havoc on the excavated areas. We were able to scrape out the sludge, but still had a little bit of water left. Poured the footing at somewhere between a 2 and 3 slump, in about 20 degrees.

When the block masons showed up for the wall, it was snowing and never reached above 19 degrees that day. Used a heated hopper for the sand, and a burn barrel with heated water. The parging was for added strength (minimal) and to match existing. There is rebar 4' on center filled solid, with horizontal reinforcement at 16".

The house is slab on grade, so crushed stone was filled in. Had to lay an interior perimeter drain for radon mitigation, a 6 mil poly VB, then about 5" of 'crete on top.

It was bitter cold during all of this so my camera kept crapping out and I was unable to take any good pictures.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O. this is going to be so much fun. You've got some kohonies posting this here, I'll give you that. :laughing:

First thing - where's the safety fencing? Can someone call the safety guy.

All in good fun, hope the mother in law don't make you crazy. Make sure you install a lock on her door keyed from your side.
Kato - if I didn't have thick skin, I wouldn't have lasted this long here.

I'll have a special thread dedicated to mother-in-law "security". Let's just say I have retained some of the best minds in the bank vault business for her entrance....:shifty:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lumber delivery.

I like to have everything stacked and staged so I can get to it. Only handle it once. It helps when the yard has one of those 3-wheeled spider things to unload with.

Pretty conventional framing... 2x6s for exterior walls, 2x4 interior walls, 2x10 floor joists, 2x10 roof rafters with an lvl ridge.

Attachments

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First floor walls going up. I leave the headers out and the sheathing off, as it's just me framing this. Easier to stand up myself and place the headers in afterwards and the sheathing on afterwards - yea, I'm weak....actually, more like lazy. :laughing:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 255 Posts