Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, it's 15 degrees here just north of the Heart of Dixie. It is just Thanksgiving in Tennessee. And after a 21 degree morning last Sunday I thought, oh well coldsnap, no biggie it'll be 80 in a few days and be playing golf here by Christmas. Holy crap, a day or two of sleet and some flurries and then 15 degrees this morning. Am I still in the south? What gives did Al Gore really lie about global warming? If it's colder here is it just warmer somewhere else.
Drove by a site this morning and the guys had built a big fire next to their studs just to thaw them out where the rain Monday night had them frozen into a big precut brick of wood. It was nice today, got up to 28 with sun out.
I thought some of yall where it is really cold could give a reality check and to what winter looks like. I don't want to see January and February if it's like this in November.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Back in 1998 , getting my Thanksgiving dinner involved a 1/2 mile walk from my tent to the dome in -30 temps, summer at the south pole is a little chilly.

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
Yea I don't envy any of you guys who've worked up in Fort Mac… Hear the pay is great though.
For some the money is great, better suited to single folk.
Damn cold, so is pretty much all of Saskatchewan between December and March. And that place has a hell of a windchill.
My passport photo was taken when I had a wicked windburn on my face from installing epdm roofing in January.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Been cold here too. Plowed/salted my commercial lots twice now. Smaller lakes and ponds are frozen over, larger lakes are freezing on the edges and where it is still waters. This past Monday i was on the job and my helper shouted what the hell, i looked up and some guy went flying by in the no wake zone with a bass boat heading for the launch. Problem was it was froze over a good 100' from shore so what he tried to do was come in hard, throttle down to create a wake to break up the ice. Then he had to break the ice with the bow to get in further to the trailer. We watched for a couple minutes and decided to drive over just to watch. I ended up having to tow him off the launch as the ramp was froze over and his 4X4 was starting to slide into the water with every attempt to climb out. After i pulled him out i told him he better get where he needed to be before the engine froze up. It was only 8 deg and towing the boat with the engine out in the open air it wouldnt take long to freeze. Next day another guy launched his boat and went fishing, just a small 14-16' aluminum outboard. He was quite funny to watch. He had the engine throttled up a bit and he was bouncing up and down on the bow to break the ice so he could get to open water. Even today when i went by the launch i could see fresh tracks on the launch where people were pulling boats.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Coldest I ever been in was -43 and that was without windchill and it was blowing about 50mph wind. That sure was an experience of what cold really is. I had to stop of behind the chair lift pole pads to get out the wind. Felt like my face froze solid as soon as the wind hit it.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,022 Posts
I remember working in -35°C. That was back when I framed full time. It was brutal, everything but my eyes were covered. The guns and hand tools were wrapped in hockey tape, methol hydrate in the air lines, the trucks plugged in, and sweeping/shovelling snow out of the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts