Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating this idea and wondered about its merits and code issues.....I have 1960's ranch house in NJ which has copper pipe plumbing throughout the house. The former owner (1 owner since myself)...had connected the well pump to the X-trol well tank and then to a 50 micron filter and a Calcite treatment tank due to low pH (5.89) water. This low pH is obviously causing copper corrosion and elevated lead levels detected in the water due to the solder. My question is, what are the thoughts about replacing ALL the copper pipes with PVC....it would be an easy task as all the lines are easily accesible from the basement and only run to one bathroom, kitchen, and clothes washer?....and downsides to switching over?...its is allowed?

Ideas/thoughts would greatly be appreciated

ps- well water was tested right out of the well pump and lead levels are undetectable...but lead levels of water from spigots are detectable.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I don't believe there any issues with codes. The only code I know that does not allow PVC for water is in apartment or condominiums when it's being used for fire protection system. I believe the hot side of the water will need to be CPVC but it's been awhile since I've done any plumbing.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The problem, hatchet, is every municipality has their own code system. I've seen some pretty weird codes in some villages... And then the town I live in, a suburb of Chicago, changes their codes quite frequently. For years you could put untreated cedar on a roof, then in Jan of this year they changed it to must be fire treated cedar. In November they went back to untreated cedar. I dunno WTF they are thinking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
21 St Centry

New Products Fellas Dont Know Name But Maybe One Of You Does Plastic ,flexible Alot Of Plummers Are Useing In Homes Insted Of Copper And Real Easy To Install

Call Your Local Plumming Store And I Dont Mean Home Dopy Areal Plumming Store And They Will Help You

Crusty The Craftsman Aka Caps Included

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can use pex for both hot and cold potable water. PVC should not be used fpr potable water for drains and sewage ok. Also can use cpcv for potable water lines.

·
Registered
118 Posts
copper to pvc

Grumpy's right check with the building dept.

Starting 2003 N Y can use PEX pipe, it comes on a roll (if your a contractor) or buy it by the length. its easy to use if it freeze the pipe can expand 400% and not break, the cost is about the same as copper but easer and quicker to install. a lot of plumbers are switching to pex good luck

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pexs pipe

http://www.wirsbo.com/main.php?pm=1&mm=2&sm=0&pc=homeowner/ho_mm2sm0.php
I was hoping to send it as a link

This will get you to the Pexs (wirsbo) site. It is allowed in N.J.
38 states now allow the pexs pipe. Here in Wisconsin we are required to run 1 pexs line for each hot and cold faucet, and to be run off a manifold. If it isnt run properly it can look lik a mess. Cost will be about the same as running copper, but the install time is cut in half!! let me know if you have other questions
Softail

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used pex line to redo the water lines in my brothers house and that was just a kitchen , bathroom, waterheater and pressure tank to hook up. Really easy to use and installs quite quickly as long as you have room for the crimping tool.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Pex is real nice to work with, however they do tend to leak at the crimps at first, I found that a little heat from a heat gun will do the trick. I have been installing the stuff for about 10 years, gone thru 3 deffernt type of fitting changes to the current crimp design, seem better than the old nut and ferruoe set up.
No MASS again prevails again with withholding the use of Aquapex for water supply use, they are still in the testing phase takeing place on Marthas Vinard IE the Kennedy estate.

Bernie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts