Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to change over from dry soda blasting to a wet blasting process using the MMLJ Multi-Media 200 Soda Pot? Talked to a MMLJ tech rep on the phone and he said all their pots are totally different. He said the Dustless Blaster pot, the Sanstorm Pot, and the SodaBlaster Pot are all completely different they cannot be changed over. Since he is the tech rep, I guess he should know, but since I own a MMLJ 200 pot, I cannot see any difference except the pinch valve and the pneumatic deadman in lieu of the electric one I have.

Have any of you guys had any experience in this area?

New to the site...Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is this for the soda pot or the sandstorm pot?

Talk to Bernie at MMLJ. I asked the same question last year and he said it could be done for about $600 in parts. And like you said the difference appeared to be the pneumatic deadman and pinch valve set-up.

The rep was probably trying to sell a new machine.

Bernie did try to up-sell me to a DB500 though. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blast Off... I did speak with Bernie and he was emphatic that none oe the pots could be changed over to a dustless blaster. He said all of the pots, Sanstorm, Sodablast systems pot, and the dustless blaster was all three different pots. I referenced this post to him and he said it was erroneous. I am not trying to start bad relations with anyone, but I do want to change over my soda blast system MMLJ multi-media 200 pot to a wet blast system like the MMLJ Dustless Blaster. I just thought I could speak with someone that might have done this already and gain from their experience. Not invent the wheel again. I do not blame MMLJ for trying to gain every sale they can, I would too. I would be glad to spend the 600-1000 bucks with them. As it is, I think I will go some where else and buy the Pneumatic Deadman, hose, Pneumatic switching valve, and pinch valve, install them and see what happens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let me know how it works out.

There are many soda pots that are barley used anymore because of issues with the automotive paint industry and that soda is expensive. So if all those pots can be converted to the "dustless" blaster for $500 in parts, it would be hard to sell new ones.

I haven't done the conversion yet from reading some of the anecdotes on this forum on how efficient and how much of a mess the DB makes. I have two WIN nozzles so it isn't a priority now.

As far as my conversation with Bernie, I know what I asked him and I know what he told me at the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim Cavender

Thanks for the input...If anyone out there has changed a MMLJ pot over to wet or attempted to do so, please PM and share your experience with me so I see if I can make the addition to my soda blasting.

Thanks...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a sanstorm pot and I would like to use water just for the fact the area your working in doesn't turn into a big dusty mess. I have a waterline that hooks to a hose spigot and it is connected to the bast hose and it injected at the tip. Only downside is whatever you blast that's metal gets surface rust pretty quick, which seems to be contradictory to what you're doing. I saw the dustless blasting setup they just pour the rust proof in the pot and let her eat. Can I just do the same?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Run your water from either a pressurized tank or a holding tank and pump your water to your nozzle. Then you can add the rust preventive product to the blast water. If your pot is not designed to use wet abrasive, I would not put water in my blast pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Then contact Sanstorm and ask them. If they say yes, then pour away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jim,

I have pots for multiple uses the pressure vessels are all basically the same its just how they seal and what is hung on the outside that varies.

You can re-engineer anything in to anything it is just a case of how much money you need to throw at it and is it financially viable when what you are trying to create is already available and produced in quantity. Production costs and ultimate retail value obviously reducing when you move from a one off prototype to mass production.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Convert existing Soda Blaster over to Dustless Blaster wet process

I have the answer to everyone's question on whether or not you can convert a dry blaster or a soda blaster to do the same thing as a Dustless Blaster. The answer is yes, you most defiantly can and it is more simple than you might think.
First I will give you a little background of myself. I have been in the auto restoration business for about 20 years, own a restoration/hot rod shop in Eugene Oregon, and have been blasting mainly car bodies for about 4 years. I'm the type of person who is always looking for better equipment, and ways of doing things.
When I was looking to purchase my first blasting pot I was debating between a Wizard Blaster ( a multi media blaster made locally) and the Dustless Blaster that I purchased with very little knowledge of the trade and was sold on MMLJ's marketing. I used the machine for about 2 years and was always less than satisfied.
After using the Dustless Blaster I quickly learned that there is nothing different about this machine that allows it to blast with water than any other dry or soda blasting machine on the market. The company MMLJ just thought outside the box and decided to poor water in a sandblaster and see what happened. So I decided to test my theory and contacted the owner of Wizard Blaster. He set me up with a Wizard Blaster and I proceeded to fill it with 5 gal. of water, 5oz of hold tight, and a 50lb bag of crushed glass, then started blasting and realized that I found something that worked more to my satisfaction than the Dustless Blaster. Now I have an over priced Dustless Blaster that I never use.

Just to clarify I am not trying to sell a Wizard Blaster (although it is a great machine), I am just letting you know that any pressurized sand or soda blaster can do the same thing as long as you have a media valve that can handle the grit I/E tungsten carbide parts ( something for you soda blaster guys to check). As far as the MMLJ products are concerned I am not trying to bash on them either but if they are going to sell old technology and try to pass it off as something new while charging way to much. I feel it is my obligation to share some of my knowledge with the people on this site that I have learned so much from. MMLJ's Sandstorm, Soda blaster, and their Dustless Blaster are all designed and function off of the same idea and are pretty much the same machine with a different label. Take a close look at there machines on their web site, it appears they have been using the same technology since the 1940's. MMLJ's products do work without much maintenance, but I think they are just to pricey for the quality and performance that you receive.

I urge anyone who has been curious about this subject to just try it out. If it doesn't work, although I know it will, all you lost was the time it took to clean your machine out. The best part is you don't need an after cooler or moister separator if you don't have one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eron,
Can I contact you directly to get some more information on your post regarding converting an existing soda blaster to dustless wet blaster?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts