Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sincerely apologize, but I wanted to ask other contractors to give my contractor the benefit of the doubt and afraid other consumers would just go give me the "contractors will scam you" sort of outlook.

Basics:
-less than 900 square feet of 3/4"x3" solid pre-finished maple nail down installation in a 5year old house purchased end of May and waiting to move in.
-Contract and deposit $7k of $12,500 (so he can order the wood floors) signed/paid on 5/29 paid with floor store owner.
-says 6/9 to start prep work. 6/11 floors scheduled to arrive/sit in house to acclimatize.
-6/13 planned to start install (says 2-3 days, 2-3 guys...1 guy so far, but figure better one craftsman than adding a couple of day laborers to the mix)
-6/12 p.m. (day late, not bad...) *most* of wood floors delivered 34 boxes (*later found out 10 more boxes; I had to ask where they were 3 days later, he did not mention the shortage when delivered) last told the additional boxes would be put in house yesterday 6/16 (not done, no call, so I call this a.m. and says they will be delivered today). These 10 boxes also need to acclimatize before installing them.
-Installer is still on the prepping stage (no wood nailed down) but may be close to being done prepping and seems to be taking his time and preparing it properly.
-Also no sign of the other materials (especially stair nosing).
-Is this normal? I do not want to be mean period..but especially if it lead to him walking out on the job with my $7k and rest of my wood (or doing a poor job).
-I think I am patient, however it does look to be done by the following weekend 6/28 which would be a month after contract/paying $7k and 15 days after install was originally scheduled to start (versus 2-3 days). Of course I am excited to move in to my new home and I am paying a mortgage for a house that I can't live in yet (I know it is to be expected, but this long for less than 900 square feet of installation?)
-Again I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but am I being too nice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Leo G for your thoughtful reply. It gives me better perspective and helps me see it from the contractors side, which is why I came here. I assume the other replies before yours are sarcasm, which is understandable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.