Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sincerely apologize, but I wanted to ask other contractors to give my contractor the benefit of the doubt and afraid other consumers would just go give me the "contractors will scam you" sort of outlook.

Basics:
-less than 900 square feet of 3/4"x3" solid pre-finished maple nail down installation in a 5year old house purchased end of May and waiting to move in.
-Contract and deposit $7k of $12,500 (so he can order the wood floors) signed/paid on 5/29 paid with floor store owner.
-says 6/9 to start prep work. 6/11 floors scheduled to arrive/sit in house to acclimatize.
-6/13 planned to start install (says 2-3 days, 2-3 guys...1 guy so far, but figure better one craftsman than adding a couple of day laborers to the mix)
-6/12 p.m. (day late, not bad...) *most* of wood floors delivered 34 boxes (*later found out 10 more boxes; I had to ask where they were 3 days later, he did not mention the shortage when delivered) last told the additional boxes would be put in house yesterday 6/16 (not done, no call, so I call this a.m. and says they will be delivered today). These 10 boxes also need to acclimatize before installing them.
-Installer is still on the prepping stage (no wood nailed down) but may be close to being done prepping and seems to be taking his time and preparing it properly.
-Also no sign of the other materials (especially stair nosing).
-Is this normal? I do not want to be mean period..but especially if it lead to him walking out on the job with my $7k and rest of my wood (or doing a poor job).
-I think I am patient, however it does look to be done by the following weekend 6/28 which would be a month after contract/paying $7k and 15 days after install was originally scheduled to start (versus 2-3 days). Of course I am excited to move in to my new home and I am paying a mortgage for a house that I can't live in yet (I know it is to be expected, but this long for less than 900 square feet of installation?)
-Again I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but am I being too nice?

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Controversy all the way.

Around a month for 900 sq/ft of flooring. This guy is giving us all a bad name. Any flooring guy will tell you that 900 sq/ft should take anywhere from 6-8 months to install. Time and material basis of course. Never heard of a fixed cost price.

I hope none of my customers are reading this and getting some fancy ideas in their head that flooring should take a month to install...

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,467 Posts
If he is waiting for the materials to come to his supplier what is he going to do. He can't make it any faster and you yelling at him isn't going to make the shipment come any quicker. He has a guy on site and it is progressing. He probably only has one guy there because the materials have been back ordered and it is of no use to get it done quickly only to have to wait around for the rest of the materials. Especially since it will still need to acclimate. If he hasn't disappeared on you, I wouldn't worry to much. Call him up and ask him what the schedule is now, because of the delay in material delivery. Getting mean isn't going to change anything but the contractors demeanor towards you. Some things are even out of our control. The best thing to do is to communicate with him. I have never been on a construction job where some kind of delay wasn't introduced into the schedule. It is just the nature of the business. Trying to coordinate so many thing and have the timing be right on every single one of them is a tough thing to do. Talk, and find out. If he ignores your attempts at communication several times then you can get mean. Remember, you are likely not his only job. And the delay screws with his schedule too. Now he has to run around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to reorganize his days and crew all the while trying to keep your job on schedule despite the delay in the materials arriving.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,255 Posts
I sincerely apologize, but I wanted to ask other contractors to give my contractor the benefit of the doubt and afraid other consumers would just go give me the "contractors will scam you" sort of outlook.
Thank you for apologizing, but as a non-contractor, you're still breaking the rules for registration on this site. That means you're fair game for the sharks.

We have no way of knowing all of the variables in your situation, though you have listed some of them. It's up to you to check out the man's references and reputation before hiring him. There are many possible reasons for delays other than your contractor being a scoundrel. Or he may just be one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Leo G for your thoughtful reply. It gives me better perspective and helps me see it from the contractors side, which is why I came here. I assume the other replies before yours are sarcasm, which is understandable.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Pedro and Luiz will work the job together, each for only half price. :clap: They are cousins and both are very good at painting. :whistling

Come on Fogelbise, spill it. We are all waiting for the pricing question. :shutup:

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.