Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two hours into organizing my saddle box and this is were I'm at. I try to be organized but I don't like having to go to the store for three screws or whatever. If anyone at the job is need of something they go to my truck because I save everything. It's a fine line. Most other saddle boxes/tool trailers are cleaner than mine but their the guys that "fish in my bucket" for odds and ends. How does the rest of you handle controlling storage chaos?

Attachments

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Wow... I am glad that I am not the only one whose tool storage begins to look chaotic... I have a 5 gal bucket that I throw random fasteners in, clean out my bags and such. Then I can rummage a little if I am looking for a random screw. I also have some of those bins that I put tico nails, cab screws, ceramic coated, etc that I use the most. I got the bins free from the local yard, they were get a new wholesaler and were getting rid of some of them.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Two hours into organizing my saddle box and this is were I'm at. I try to be organized but I don't like having to go to the store for three screws or whatever. If anyone at the job is need of something they go to my truck because I save everything. It's a fine line. Most other saddle boxes/tool trailers are cleaner than mine but their the guys that "fish in my bucket" for odds and ends. How does the rest of you handle controlling storage chaos?
Wow, there's my old Stanley tape...
and my T-50 gun, and..........:laughing::clap:

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
A couple time a year I try to do what you're doing, my garage suffers....

I used to keep everything in my truck and took pride that I had anything I needed anytime. When fuel costs went up, and I couldn't use my vehicle for anything more than carrying tools I realized it was a bigger ass ache moving things around that I don't need everyday.

I bought some containers and started labeling...roofing, plumbing, electrical etc... I've even started to seperate my tools. everyday use, occasional, and rare.

I spend a little more time planning what tools I need day to day and loading/unloading after work. What really helped was organizing my garage as well. I made space for tools and fasteners that keeps everything neat and accessible.

It's taking some effort but getting easier for me to always put things back where they go. (I had to make a place first). I'm at a functional chaos level, but not organized.

With the little bit I've done, I've found projects seem to be easier and go smoother. Sounds like a no brainer, but it's easy to get lazy and let [email protected]#t pile up.

·
framer
154 Posts
Hey now! That looks good but does it keep weather out, (snow, Rain)?
Yes it is weather tite, a small bit of fine snow will get into the very front, but not anything to worry or do anything about.
5 years of New England weather and framers abuse with Generators and compressors thrown on top, it will out last the truck.

·
Super Moderator
10,596 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that our employees generally don't care very much about this. I am not a neat freak but I can't stand it when I need something and can't find it. Wasn't too bad when all we did was frame. Nowadays, doing so much remodeling, seems like we use every tool I own at least once a week. I have labeled some of the bins in my vans to help with the tool clutter, but with so many jobs, and so many tools in and out of the van, things still are hard to find. Screws,nails, and drill bits are a whole nother story. Seems impossible to inventory those on a consistent basis.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I have a big rolling Stanley tool box that the bottom looks like that.I prolly have enough nails and screws in it to build a house...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It's taking some effort but getting easier for me to always put things back where they go. (I had to make a place first). I'm at a functional chaos level, but not organized.

quote]

One of my FAVORITE "oxy moron" type phrases.:thumbup:

I have the seperate toolboxes bins etc. Just wish I had the discipline of putting EVERY THING back in place.:mad:

It's like the are all magnetized, leave one out pretty soon they multiply. TONS of tools laying about,EMPTY containers.:laughing: or should I say :no:

I also find if I leave something in the "wrong" place to long when it gets put away I have to look for it!:blink:

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so after another hour of sorting I came up with this (for fasteners). I got these on sale somewhere awhile back. The plan is when I need a few of anything I get a 1lb box use (a few) then dump the remainder in a compartment. Yeah I'll probably need a few more totes but I started figuring how much time/money I spend looking through chaotic stashes of fasteners for 5 drywall screws that I didn't count on and it wasn't a small number.

Tools are another story. :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OK so after another hour of sorting I came up with this (for fasteners). I got these on sale somewhere awhile back. The plan is when I need a few of anything I get a 1lb box use (a few) then dump the remainder in a compartment. Yeah I'll probably need a few more totes but I started figuring how much time/money I spend looking through chaotic stashes of fasteners for 5 drywall screws that I didn't count on and it wasn't a small number.

I have a dozen or so like that but with the removable boxes/containers. LOVE them. and YES I "TRY" to get the boxes back into the carry all..:thumbsup:

But not always:rolleyes:

·
Registered
139 Posts

I've used tip out bins for a looooong time.

I've seen them mounted in saddle boxes, not easy. I drive a cargo van so mounting two tiers of them with largest bins on the bottom works very well.

It must be a Michigan thing to be "Dutch" and save crap. I even save the damn 1" pan head screws Pella uses to attach carry handles. I just can't throw perfectly good materials away.

1/2 the cords I have were taken from dumpsters on jobsites. Sheesh, a $60 yellow jacket that takes a cut from a saw and it's pitched? I don't see that happen much anymore, but it was happening a LOT when things were busy. I'd salvage it and cut it short with a new plug. Big deal.....

·
Registered
685 Posts
Paulie,

I've been looking at that picture for an hour and still can't find Waldo:w00t:

(I did find the wrench for your drill chuck:thumbsup:)

looks like you will be able to save a few trips to the local hardware when you get it done:thumbsup:

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,427 Posts
I think if you are doing high end job all your tools must be clean and gangboxes/trucks/equipment/gear/sheds/garages too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts