Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Controller for heat tapes

1954 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  woodchuck2
Customer is requesting a controller for Ambient Air Temperature to control heat tapes for a roof. There is a designated 20amp GFCI already mounted to the soffit for the heat tapes to plug into but he is requesting something that will control it by ambient air temp. I have found one so far but it is over $100, he is looking for something cheaper and if i find one cheaper and reliable than i will be installing one on each condo unit "32 units total". Has anyone found such a device and how well did it work? Thanks.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
If your load is less than 15 amps, here is something you can get for 12 to 15 bucks. Stats are preset and the model you could use is set to turn on at 35 and off at 45.

http://www.farminnovators.com/page14.htm
RAYCHEM AMC-1A THERMOSTAT, 573977

Ref: RD10000RAYCHEM 573977, AMBIENT SENSING THERMOSTAT (15TO 140*F).
STOCK ITEMS USUALLY SHIP WITHIN 1-2 DAYS.
P/N: AMC-1A

Specification Sheet
<B><B>

Hey Paul

This is the Thermo we used out in the field at the plant. We used all Raychem heat tape and accessories & I believe we got them from Grainger in Albany........... Probably more than a 100 bucks though. Mostly all the tapes were self-regulating-but we used these thermos on pipe lines, etc................. Mike
Thanks Kgmz, thats exactly what i have been looking for. Thanks Mike, i found something similar to that and it was a no go for the homeowners. I guess at $100 each and 32 homeowners in this association it would get rather expensive in a hurry and hard to justify the cost vs. expense of the tapes.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.