Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I've been reborn eversince I came across contractortalk.com. I have started a painting business a few months back last November. I had one job so far and I spent my time booking work for the summer months. I am on the verge of a nervous brakedown right now...I managed to make quite a few contacts but neglected the paperworkside of the business in the meantime. My problem is that I alwyas thought of compiling my own contracts, proposals and on-the-job bidding system but never actually did it!! I have been browsing the net for the last week..it took me a while to come across sites like this. If anyone can help me..please...in les than 4 days I have to give out 5 estimates and I am pretty certain that at least 4 of them will lead to a contract. I read that some of you guys have there own contract clauses tested over time as well as estimate systems. I have a rough idea how to do it but I am afraid that I will not look professional if I don't have the basic forms. Unfortunatelly I did not come across any downloadable forms you posted in previous threads...if anyone can help it will be much appreciated

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
I use the "Craftsmen National Painting Cost Estimator".
http://www.craftsman-book.com/
They have a whole series from Construction to flooring. I have it on my home computer and it takes me about an hour to work through an estimate, but thats because I am new to estimating. I'm sure with a little more experience I could get it on a laptop and bust them out at the site.

ProWallGuy,
I would be interested in seeing your system. If you don't mind. I'm always looking for better, faster ways of doing things.

[email protected]

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
premeirepainting,

Would it be possible to take a look at your 6 page contract as well? Right now I use a one page contract with about a paragraphs worth of info on it. Your six pager makes me suddenly feel vulnerable ;) I would totally understand if you didn't want to e-mail it to me though.

thanks

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
;) With the help of a friend here on this forum, and a few paragraphs I have added specific to me I now have what I feel is an ironclad contract. You know who you are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are my saviors:
[email protected]
just like many others I will be forever indebted to prowallguy:)
Premierpainting
Your 6 page contract sounds pretty solid! If you could e-mail me one will be of great help. I checked out some of the painting estimators online but I don’t feel entirely comfortable with them. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that most of them lack personalization to your specific needs or sometimes they take too long to fill out and/or familiarize yourself with the software. The one you recommend is kind of expensive…I guess the old saying is always true “You get what you pay for”… can’t afford it yet…I am on a very tight budget right now
Donb1959
I wanna do exactly what you did…make my ironclad contract…I can fill in for my specific needs but the legality of the contract is under question…not very many good lawyers around here and they charge an arm and a leg…could I take a peek at yours? I will be happy to share any compilation I come up with.

Thank you all…I owe you one

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Show me yours and I will show you mine
Premier, never, ever, say that to me again unless you are wearing lipstick and a nurse's uniform. :cheesygri
Its on its way.

Humbleabode, my system has nothing at all to do with the estimating part, its just a way to the documents in a quick, efficient, and consistent way. I'll send one your way too.

donb, thats what I believe these boards are all about. We are here to help each other and share ideas to better our business. Nobody here is anybody's competition. Even if you all were from my neck of the woods, there are plenty jobs to go around for everyone. We just need to set the bar for decorating contractors to rid us of the non-tax paying, low-ball bidding scum that ruin this industry daily.
P.S. you owe me a tall adult beverage :cheesygri

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Humbleabode, my system has nothing at all to do with the estimating part, its just a way to the documents in a quick, efficient, and consistent way. I'll send one your way too.

I got the info this morning. Great advice! The first page felt as if I could right it myself :) Thanks.

With the help of my partner I am going to try to put something simalar together for our company. As it stands now we both do all the on job work and I do all the estimating and paperwork and after hours stuff. But he wants to get more involded, espesially the more I make jokes about taking a better wage than him ;)

Thanks again Pro!

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Premier, never, ever, say that to me again unless you are wearing lipstick and a nurse's uniform. :cheesygri
Its on its way.

donb, thats what I believe these boards are all about. We are here to help each other and share ideas to better our business. Nobody here is anybody's competition. Even if you all were from my neck of the woods, there are plenty jobs to go around for everyone. We just need to set the bar for decorating contractors to rid us of the non-tax paying, low-ball bidding scum that ruin this industry daily.
P.S. you owe me a tall adult beverage :cheesygri

Humble, I would be more than happy to share, but it's really someones elses except for what I added, Pro may have already sent his to you. If not with his permission I will be glad to do that. Pro, if by anytime we get the chance to meet, I'll do the beer and buffalo hot wings :) And your'e right that's one thing that makes this paticular forum on of the best I've seen, and I've seen a bunch. The exchange of info/ideas to better the overall contracting business.

Nuff said I'm off to Ronnis Rest. for 20 hot with bleu cheese and a pitcher :Thumbs:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all guys…you are truly awesome…will sort through everything I got and will come up with my own system and forms…hopefully soon I’ll be able to help out others like me…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Pro Wall Guy,
I'm new to the business and have seen that you've given some advice on estimating software.
What kind do you use.
Thanks for your help
Kurt - Awesome Painting

1,183 Posts
You guys are my saviors:
[email protected]
just like many others I will be forever indebted to prowallguy:)
Premierpainting
Your 6 page contract sounds pretty solid! If you could e-mail me one will be of great help. I checked out some of the painting estimators online but I don’t feel entirely comfortable with them. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that most of them lack personalization to your specific needs or sometimes they take too long to fill out and/or familiarize yourself with the software. The one you recommend is kind of expensive…I guess the old saying is always true “You get what you pay for”… can’t afford it yet…I am on a very tight budget right now
Donb1959
I wanna do exactly what you did…make my ironclad contract…I can fill in for my specific needs but the legality of the contract is under question…not very many good lawyers around here and they charge an arm and a leg…could I take a peek at yours? I will be happy to share any compilation I come up with.

Thank you all…I owe you one
There is no such thing as a iron clad contract especialy in our state of Ma. If a homeowner wants to screw ya or a builder your only reslove is small claims court depending on the amount.

·
Mike Danahy
681 Posts
This could be a business idea for someone...

Typing up estimates for people (here online) that either can't, or don't have the time to.

Not sure what that sevice would go for, but anyhoo...just a thought in the wind.

Like with the right information, I could probably make an estimate up in qb's for a whole house, in about 10 minutes or less... roughly 5-6 pages. That's using my default prices of course per room... as well as default terms and notes (which for those of you that know qb's, is my non-inventory line item called 'terms')

·
Mike Danahy
681 Posts
ok, just for fun I have created a sample company, really generic like to try.
Should someone send me something like
a)company name
b)rate of tax if any?
c)room name and price
ie) bedroom = Price (walls/ ceiling / trim?)
materials = price
d)email
e)Customer Name and address

I'll type it up, and send it back...

Just one or two as a tester of course to see how it works out...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This could be a business idea for someone...

Typing up estimates for people that either can't, or don't have the time to.

Not sure what that sevice would go for, but anyhoo...just a thought in the wind.

Like with the right information, I could probably make an estimate up in qb's for a whole house, in about 10 minutes or less... roughly 5-6 pages. That's using my default prices of course per room... as well as default terms and notes (which for those of you that know qb's, is my non-inventory line item called 'terms')

Heh, it's called an estimator and bascially... a good one is worth thier weight in gold. I knew one that grabbed 10% of a business, another that made monthly bonuses, etc. Hell I trained one for a bit.

·
Mike Danahy
681 Posts
Heh, it's called an estimator and bascially... a good one is worth thier weight in gold. I knew one that grabbed 10% of a business, another that made monthly bonuses, etc. Hell I trained one for a bit.
Exactly. I'm more referring to an online thing that could be made up for someone in a pinch. More of like an "Estimator-Lite" version...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts