Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, I saw an advertisement (I live in California) about a contractor's license for sale for $5000.00. This was a commercial, possibly on television, addressed to the general public. Is this possible? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? How legit would it be?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
To be honest I doubt it, Cali is really tough on contractors. I bet it is a scam. Why not just go take the exam and get licensed by the state?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
In IL, liscences are not transferrable from person to person. Theya re transferrable as the "qualifying party" from company to company.

That means if I am a liscenced roofer, I can go to any roofing company I want and they would be a liscenced roofing company, but once I leave their employment, they are no longer liscenced... but I still am liscenced.

·
Registered
318 Posts
IMHO, sounds like they're selling the "legal services" to get you set up with a license.

Tim

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have never heard of anyone 'selling' a contractors license. It belongs to the individual that earned it, the same as a university degree. Come to think of it you CAN buy the latter, why not the former?
Not seeing the ad, I'm guessing that it was for a contractors mill, an accelerated course dedicated to getting you to pass the test. I also see them for Captains licenses and flight schools. 4-6 wks and you're a boat captain, pilot or contractor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can buy a non-accredited university degree. It's worth crap to anyone that pays enough attention to research it. Some people just don't.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts