·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ProWallGuy said:
Onhand, you kick a$$.
Thanks, now if I can figure out how to make it work with my Firefox browser,
I'll feel like a million bucks!
should just be able to change icon on your existing desktop shortcut i would think...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
onhand said:
I dont know if anyone else created one but I did.
Looks like this
Yooda man dude (or dudette, as it were) :Thumbs: Thank you.

PWG: For the life of me I can't remember how I made the shortcut. The one I had used my browser program icon. Then all I had to do was 1.)download the new icon file and save it to disk 2.) right click the short cut and select "properties". 4.) select change icon 5.) select "browse" and then locate the new icon file 5.) select "open" and then save everything.

No fuss, no muss.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
OK - I think I got it. With XP here's what you do.

Locate your bookmark in the favorites menu and right click on it. Select "copy". Then go to the desktop and right click on it. Select "new" then "shortcut". Then right click on the empty location box and select "paste". Then click "next" and then "finish". Then perform the steps to change the icon.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
open your favorites folder...take it out of maximize, if it is....make it so you can see the favorites list and the desktop at the same time.....right click the favorite you want a shortcut for.....drag it to the wherever you want a shortcut(desktop, in this case)....when you release the click it should pop up a menu..."move here", "copy here", or "create shortcut here"...obviously we can pick the right one. :cheesygri

OOPS....sorry pipe...you nailed it...one of my many downfalls is I don't read the entire thread before responding :eek: ...take care everyone

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
OK, I got the icon on my desktop, and it opens the site. but my only problem is i surf using Firefox, and have it my default browser. Yet, when I click the icon, it opens up in a yahoo browser. Any idea how I can change this?
You need the deskCut extension from the FF site
I'll try and give you a link
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Bookmarks&id=66

After installation it will give you an option to make a "deskCut" when you right click on a page
It will use the firefox logo as a default icon
Right clicking on the shortcut icon and going to properties will get you to "change icon" (I think in the web doc tab, but you'll find it)
You won't have many options in your box to change it to, so you'll "browse" for your CT icon where ever you saved it too, click on it to put the location in the box, and hit "apply" and then "OK"

I'm pretty sure that's right
If I missed a step or I am not clear, let me know

One of the reasons FF is so lean, mean, quick, and safe, is that it doesn't come with all the extras IE does
Sometimes you need an add on
After you're done with the extension you can throw it in the can if you want, you can always DL it again later if you need it

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
What is a Yahoo browser? Do you mean that Firefox takes you to Yahoo instead of CT?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Try this. Go to the CT page you want to start in. Right click on the address bar and "copy" the address. Go to the CT icon and right click-choose properties-select the web document tab-right click on the URL pane and "paste" the CT address that you copied-select OK. Now click on the icon and see where you wind up.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
PipeGuy said:
What is a Yahoo browser? Do you mean that Firefox takes you to Yahoo instead of CT?
Pipe, I use DSL service through SouthWestern Bell in partnership with Yahoo.
When I dl'ed the software, it loads a yahoo browser into the pc. I never use it, and I can't delete it because its tied to the DSL stuff. It looks like this:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Pipe, I use DSL service through SouthWestern Bell in partnership with Yahoo.
Ahhhh. I understand now. Regrettably, I don't know from DSL. I'm pretty much enamored with my cable modem and regularly tell Verizon DSL solicitors to take a hike.

Just out of curiosity, what kinda' score does your DSL get you on this test site speed test ?

I just clocked in at 4620 kbps on the download and 352 kbps on the upload.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
All right, I added FF deskcut to my extensions, and bookmarked the site on my desktop.
Changed the FF icon with the Contractor icon. Yet, it still opens in a yahoo browser, but my FF browser is set to default.
All other pages open in FF, but not this one. What gives? I'm stumped.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
It must be from when you dl'd the icon?

I'd trash it (the icon) and try to dl it again
When you dl the icon, double check all your FF dl mgr. settings, make sure there's nothing funny in there
Just tell FF to dl it to a place on your comp so you know where it is
Maybe make your own "Icons" folder and keep it there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts