1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Somone should have taught him how to shoot. :whistling

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
What a beautiful story. I might just play the audio every night to give me sound sleep:thumbup:
Thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Cool story. The property preservation contractors here probably have some similar stories sans gunfire.

My HVAC guy does PP for a couple banks and some of their properties are on the South and West sides of Chicago. (BAD areas)

I've gone with him on potential problem jobs a few times and it is NEVER boring.

On these jobs he is always armed but he's a big dude and can usually scare the looters, illegal occupants, and other riff raff away with his demeanor.

Kudos to this landscaper for standing up though.:thumbsup:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
your right "Dead man tells no tails":eek:
Exactly, dead men do not sue either. The contractor was justified in his shooting when the perp tried ramming his vehicle, that is assault with a deadly weapon at that point making the shooting justified. If your going to pull a firearm in defense you shoot to kill. Hopefully this contractor will not be sued for any harm he caused to the perp, hate to see a working man lose everything to a scumb bag because he wasnt dead. The perp will have no trouble getting an attorney to fight for him.

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
In MD you are supposed to retreat from your own house before using deadly force.
I e-mailed the reporter who covered this to find out the disposition of this case.
Nowadays, who knows how this can fall out?
Dead men don't sue but the survivors do, for wrongful death. It's civil, so the burden of proof is only "more likely than not."

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In MD you are supposed to retreat from your own house before using deadly force.
I e-mailed the reporter who covered this to find out the disposition of this case.
Nowadays, who knows how this can fall out?
Dead men don't sue but the survivors do, for wrongful death. It's civil, so the burden of proof is only "more likely than not."
Washington is a "stand your ground" state, we don't have to retreat from anywhere. We are also a ccw shall issue state. Not to say the guy won't have any problems in court, but this would be a good state for the gun owner.

http://redensign.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/castle-law-stand-your-ground-2/

·
Registered
801 Posts
I would be amazed if the contractor wasnt sued. Its not his property to protect. I know it was the right thing to do, but I wouldnt want to lose everything over it. I had a drunk driver hit my service truck last year and their insurance some how tried to wipe it around on me?? I would hated to see if he was hurt hitting my truck.

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
I e-mailed the reporter on this case for police contact addresses but so far no reply. I guess disposition of these cases is not newsworthy unless the outcome is extraordinary. And it might take months; so much for a speedy trial. :blink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts