Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the toughest requirements you've come across to get a license?
I inquired today about getting my West Virginia contractors license (lots and lots of land development going on around some of the population centers). There's a pretty extensive 'open book' test but check this - you have to post two bonds with the state before you can work there. The first is a "wage bond" in the amount of four weeks total gross payroll (at full production levels) plus an additional 15% of that amount. The other is a "non-resident contractor" tax bond in the amount of 6% of the contract price.
Country road, take me home.....

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The toughest for me was verifying my experience.
I was always fascinated by the older guys, our lead brick mason was in his 80's, never used a string and kept 2 young guys busy mixing mud and hobbing bricks. Our wrought iron guy was a few years younger. Dad always hired the best!
After I graduated I spent about 20 yrs. as an engineer before returning to construction. When I went to verify my experience all of the old dudes were dead! My father included. Many of our clients too. It took me almost a year to dredge up enough info to satisfy the bld. dept. 8X10 glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.
That's Arlo Guthrie to you young'uns.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts