Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did job for a G.C. that I have done work for many years.
This was a insurance job. Firer damage , we had to insulate re drywall the whole house finish ,paint , install all new doors and all new trim. G.C. was happy with the job we were in and out in two weeks.
Now for the homer owner total A$$. He is supposed to be a contractor him self, does replacement windows and doors. He tells me He really likes the way I did the trim, then tell the G.C. that I install the trim wrong there is a 1/8 inch gap on the trim, so G.C goes to look at the job and tells homer that if there is any problem that I would take care of it (G.C. knows me very well and I would do so). G.C. can’t find any thing wrong with any part of the job, and ask homer to meet him at the job to show him where the problem is, homer owner shows him the revile around the jams of the doors and windows.
G.C tell homer that it is done right.
Then I find out that all the other subs were giving the homer owner kick backs and I was not.
I don’t mind some one nit picking my work because I do before I turn in my final bill, and make sure I give a quality job.
Now the homer was going to install his own kitchen cabinetries ( to make more money from the insurance co.). Cheep cabinets (more money in his pockets).
Now I get a call from the G.C home owner can’t get cabinets level how much do I want to install the kitchen , I tell him I want $200.00 per foot.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
that's right. bid high, and if he takes you, you have some padding.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'd tell the GC and homer that I want out of this whole mess. All that I see here is repercussions that will take away time from profit making jobs. Run, Will Robinson, run!

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I had a similar "problem" with one of the 3 homeowners I did a fence/deck project for last fall. The trouble maker's wife came to me after I finished their fence and while I was still on site doing the deck. I tried to get the trouble maker out of the way because I expected whining from them and knew I would still be there doing the deck for the "good client". Well, they wanted an additional latch on the bottom of their gate because they thought their sheltie could push the bottom of the gate open and squeeze through - like a 30 lb. dog had the strength to do so!!!

Anyway, the extra latch wasn't part of the original quote but the part was only $4. Suffice it to say, I bought the latch and installed it for no extra charge. In the end it wasn't worth my time and effort to point out to them that not even a pit bull could move and/or squeeze through the bottom of the gate. Some people just like to whine and think they're getting and "extra" for no charge. This customer will never get any repeat business from me - no matter how big a deck they want in the future!!!

I have to agree with Teetor here, run like the wind and don't look back!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts