Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a fair amount of time staying on a jobsite in a camper, and in fact, I'm currently living out of a camper on a jobsite in Williston ND. While this camper is pretty nice, it isn't designed to stand up to a construction crew. The walls are flimsy, we have to be real worried about getting mud inside, ect. A significant portion of the camper is taken up by a bathroom, which is completely useless since we rarely have a water hookup, and I've never seen a jobsite with a RV drain. Does anyone know of a camper that is designed for use by construction crews? It seems like there would be a fairly significant market by a lot of construction crews that spend a fair amount of time on the road. Any ideas for a camper manufacturer that would work for this sort of use?

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Holding tanks? You could squeak out a week and take it to the nearest dump station and refill your water.

You could probably think of some other options I'm sure.

And some of those new toy haulers are all open with flip down beds. What are you guys doing, having brawls in them?:laughing:

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
There are plenty that have a 10-20 gal tank for water and a holding tank. If you have that much foot traffic, you'll go through the water pretty fast. Mud is always a problem - get a big piece of fake grass to put outside in front of the door and boot scrapers. Walls have to be light weight to keep overall weight down.

These things can get pretty pricey, so you have to figure out what you need and don't need, and how many miles you'll be taking it is a big consideration.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I've seen, jobsite campers get moved in and set up for weeks or even months at a time. Holding tanks aren't really an option. We usually have an outhouse on site, and find other solutions for taking showers, like pay showers at the truck stop and such. We pretty much always have power, so there isn't any need for half the camper to run off of 12v.
eliminating the holding tanks, bathroom, water pumps and heaters, ect, would free up some space and weight, so that you could build the camper out of some heavier duty materials so you don't feel like you are going to put your hand through the wall when you lean against it to take off your boots.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
I'm glad I don't work for you. No way am I working in the mud or heat all day and coming back to a crowded camper with no shower, water or nice big bed of my own. :no:

If it's a crew, a hotel is the best way. Production goes up, moral stays up, fighting is lessened.

If I'm by myself or maybe one other guy, then a toy hauler with all my tools in the back is an option, but not a steady, day after day crew. That would be miserable.

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
Run you black tank hoses to the nearest cleanout for the septic or sewer.

My hauler holds 200 fresh, 150 black, and 300 grey. I typically dont have a problem dropping grey water in a hole since its just shower and dish water.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,127 Posts
Although I have not looked into them I have seen some pretty nice looking trailers at Pierces RV built on a regular enclosed trailer design. I bought an older RV for work which I like , but normally it is just me to in it. If a person Has to stay in a RV park I have found it was just as cheap or cheaper to find a fair working mans motel.

Did that once up in Havre, 36 a nite for the nites, which was usally 4 nites. in a motel or 30 a day RV park which you pay for every day it is there. Was a no brainer on that deal and was there 7 weeks.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm not sure that if I had to be somewhere for week or more, that I wouldn't just build a small shed and set it on the ground.

It might be interesting to see what you could design that would dissasemble and fit in a small trailer. You could have a regular studded wall building which is color-coded. Sheath the exterior with tarps and the interior with plastic sheeting and have some insulation in the walls and a shed roof.

With any luck, you could build something about 12x16, and just sell it to the next guys arriving on the work site, or to the property owner.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad I don't work for you. No way am I working in the mud or heat all day and coming back to a crowded camper with no shower, water or nice big bed of my own. :no:

If it's a crew, a hotel is the best way. Production goes up, moral stays up, fighting is lessened.

If I'm by myself or maybe one other guy, then a toy hauler with all my tools in the back is an option, but not a steady, day after day crew. That would be miserable.
I've done the hotel thing, I much prefer a camper. A hotel works for a couple days, but past that, I like having a proper stove, place to put the grill, short commute, ect. On our current project, we are next door to the truck stop, so we go there for showers, water, ect, and we can pick up their wifi.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts

try finding a place to park a camper in williston, let alone a motel.

how about converting a 8 x 40 shipping container?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im sure there are port-a-jons on site, just call the company and ask them how much for a 200 gal portable holding tank, they can empty it every other day or whenever they come out to clean the ports potties

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
try finding a place to park a camper in williston, let alone a motel.

how about converting a 8 x 40 shipping container?
I missed that part. All the rules change when talking about that place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No personal experience with these but they look like what you are looking for.

Other wise, how about buying a good quality enclosed car hauler and adding your own stove, fridge, beds, etc. You could probably hose the thing out if you needed too. Also it would probably be built about as heavy duty as a trailer is going to be. Much cheaper than a toy hauler too. Just my $.02

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
I second building your own shed. You can customize it to your needs, insulate it well, etc. you can make it knock down or just load it on a flatbed trailer.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
get a small semi refer trailer put your skill to work. i have a 28 ft unit = bed bath office tool shop built in heat air has been a good unit for just what ever i needed

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i've spent a fair amount of time staying on a jobsite in a camper, and in fact, i'm currently living out of a camper on a jobsite in williston nd. While this camper is pretty nice, it isn't designed to stand up to a construction crew. The walls are flimsy, we have to be real worried about getting mud inside, ect. A significant portion of the camper is taken up by a bathroom, which is completely useless since we rarely have a water hookup, and i've never seen a jobsite with a rv drain. Does anyone know of a camper that is designed for use by construction crews? It seems like there would be a fairly significant market by a lot of construction crews that spend a fair amount of time on the road. Any ideas for a camper manufacturer that would work for this sort of use?
are you working on a hotel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts